Prismatic Lithium-Ion Battery to Become Notebook Standard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in all for it provided that battery life and performance is making progress over older battery tech such as being able to withstand greater numbers of charge and drain cycles. Second higher amp hour ratings for longer life before needing to be recharged. If the shell is extremely strong and less likely to be damaged physically if anything happens to not catch fire or explode that would be great over standard lithium polymer.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Yay, it's cheaper but can it attain higher energy densities for a given volume/weight?

EDIT: Nope
From:http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/whats_the_best_battery
"The most economical Li-ion battery in terms of cost-to-energy ratio is the cylindrical 18650 cell. This cell is used for mobile computing and other applications that do not demand ultra-thin geometry. If a slimmer pack is required (thinner than 18 mm), the prismatic Li‑ion cell is the best choice. There are no gains in energy density over the 18650, however, the cost of obtaining the same energy may double.

For ultra-slim geometry (less than 4 mm), the only choice is Li‑ion polymer. This is the most expensive system in terms of cost-to-energy ratio. There are no gains in energy density and the durability is inferior to the rugged 18560 cell."

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i wouldve hoped more that they come up with a battery design with very close to 0% chance of exploding. Id like USPS to accept shipping them again since they are basically the only service vendors use for free shipping offers.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I know window 8 on the Acer Aspire S7 give about 12 hours of battery life. But no one mention about prismatic LIBs. I want to have the ability to remove the battery if its busted later down the years and not scrap the entire laptop.

G

Well, I think the idea with the prismatic cells (non replaceable) is that would be lasting the lifetime of the product. Meaning that by the time you upgrade because your hardware is outdated, that is when the battery is at its end (3-5 years max). Let's face it, if your hardware is older then that, you are living in the modern stone ages.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation]Intel wants to reduce ultrabook prices down to $699 in the second half of 2012, feeling pressured by the $100 price reduction of Apple's MacBook Air featuring Ivy Bridge processors.[/citation]

Interesting that no pressure is felt (or, acknowledged) from AMD-based ultra-thins.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Can't wait to see Apple latch onto this idea, give it some stupid name, like "the new pollywaffle battery", call it revolutionary, and then somehow get awarded the patent and begin operation technorape.

bucknutty

Distinguished
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Can't wait to see Apple latch onto this idea, give it some stupid name, like "the new pollywaffle battery", call it revolutionary, and then somehow get awarded the patent and begin operation technorape.[/citation]
It would be called the iPollywaffle

jacky89

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
I don't understand why Intel would feel pressured by the $100 price reduction of Apple's MacBook Air featuring Intel Ivy Bridge processors. The Macbook Air is using Intel processors so shouldn't Intel be happy?

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
So, it's not better, just potentially cheaper.
I don't care what type of cells you give me, I just 100 watt hours of juice that can run reliably for years.

Seeing as 18650 cells are actually quite cheap, what real gain is there? Removing $5-10 from the manufacturing price (while shortening battery life)?

Status
Not open for further replies.