Question Private internet access question.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Like when I try speedtest on my desktop straight wired to my router my speed slows down to 300 MBps(I have a 1 gbps plan and I achieve that without the VPN) and I know that with VPN that is a common issue of slow down speeds but any way to fix that? Another thing is when I try to access some websites with the VPN on the site doesn't load at all and it gives me error but when I don't use the VPN the site doesn't give me an error for example autotrader says access denied when I use a vpn but out of all the websites in the world why autotrader... I bought the 2 yr subscription and as much as those 2 things bug me I still like it somewhat.

Websites will block certain IP addresses because they detect suspicious activity from those addresses in order to prevent scamming. Remember, you're not the only person accessing that particular IP address when you use a VPN and others may not have pure motives.

As for the speed, you can try connecting to a server that's closer to you. I know with my VPN (Torguard) you can connect to their different servers around the world which might impact speeds.

iseeu1001

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2012
Websites will block certain IP addresses because they detect suspicious activity from those addresses in order to prevent scamming. Remember, you're not the only person accessing that particular IP address when you use a VPN and others may not have pure motives.

As for the speed, you can try connecting to a server that's closer to you. I know with my VPN (Torguard) you can connect to their different servers around the world which might impact speeds.
I connect to NYC which is closest to me or US washington DC or even US East because I live on the east coast which is in MD(maryland) none have been able to get close to the speed I pay for. I tried multiple servers and it seems autotrader blocks lots of ip addresses from private internet access and I am not sure why because the old thing you could do on that website is to look at cars.

richard_mp

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
Like when I try speedtest on my desktop straight wired to my router my speed slows down to 300 MBps(I have a 1 gbps plan and I achieve that without the VPN) and I know that with VPN that is a common issue of slow down speeds but any way to fix that? Another thing is when I try to access some websites with the VPN on the site doesn't load at all and it gives me error but when I don't use the VPN the site doesn't give me an error for example autotrader says access denied when I use a vpn but out of all the websites in the world why autotrader... I bought the 2 yr subscription and as much as those 2 things bug me I still like it somewhat.

You are never going to get gbps speeds using a vpn, just not going to happen unless pay a lot more money and roll your own.

What you need to look at is whether the speeds you do get are high enough to do what you want. For instance if you login to your vpn and have trouble streaming videos or playing the games you want then that is a problem. At 300 mbps I doubt there is much you are going to try and do where speed is going to be a problem and as long as you can do what you want then your actual speed really does not matter.

In almost every case gig speed is way overkill for residential use so if you are worried about spending money for bandwidth you are not using then you might think about dropping down a plan and saving a few bucks. I have 150/150 and can stream multiple HD movies at the same time without maxing out my bandwidth so 300 is probably more than you will every need. Just a thought....

I have been using PIA for years and yes the IPs get blocked by sites. They do add new IPs on a fairly regular basis but it does not take long for people to misuse them and get them blocked again.

To combat that I also use expressvpn. It gets blocked as well but for some reason the two of them seem to mostly get blocked by different sites. Yes it kind of sucks to pay for two but still cheaper than building my own and both of them tend to run specials once in awhile (especially around the holidays) and if you sign up for a couple of years when you catch a special the monthly cost comes down.