[SOLVED] Problem activating windows 10 after changing Motherboard and CPU

Feb 14, 2021
hey, so I just upgraded to a new CPU and motherboard everything is all right but I have a problem, my windows 1à is not activated anymore, I tried to activate it but it won't. there is an option to troubleshoot but it still doesn't work. There was an option in the troubleshoot in case some hardware was changed like in my case, it open a tab in microsoft but it's a grey screen. Help !

Solution
D
I have another question my microsoft store doesn't work/doesn't load,same as the tab when i wanted to troubleshoot. what can i do

create a fresh Win10 installer from micosoft site and install windows fresh. when you change mobo and cpu you must do a CLEAN install because this is the type of stuff that happens when you use the old install typically.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

make a new USB installer, use custom setup, delete ALL partitions on SSD, Create one new partition and windows will take care of the rest

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How was Win10 acquired before? Did you buy it retail/oem and install it yourself creating an MS account or was the licence from a prebuilt machine?

If it was a system you built yourself before the upgrade and forgot to delist previous activation then you can call Microsoft. If OS licence was originally from a prebuilt then you won't be able to use it and need to purchase one for yourself.

Feb 14, 2021
How was Win10 acquired before? Did you buy it retail/oem and install it yourself creating an MS account or was the licence from a prebuilt machine?

If it was a system you built yourself before the upgrade and forgot to delist previous activation then you can call Microsoft. If OS licence was originally from a prebuilt then you won't be able to use it and need to purchase one for yourself.
I just reinstalled my old mobo and cpu and windows is a activated. is there anyway to use this one ? if not where can I buy a new one.
PS : yes it was a prebuilt

D

Deleted member 14196

I have another question my microsoft store doesn't work/doesn't load,same as the tab when i wanted to troubleshoot. what can i do

create a fresh Win10 installer from micosoft site and install windows fresh. when you change mobo and cpu you must do a CLEAN install because this is the type of stuff that happens when you use the old install typically.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh

make a new USB installer, use custom setup, delete ALL partitions on SSD, Create one new partition and windows will take care of the rest

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Just to make sure that there are no other drives HDD or SSDs connected when you install windows. after The windows install when you can continually reboot to that single drive then you can power down and add your other data drives back

Reactions: boju
Feb 14, 2021
Ok thanks guys, so I'll reinstall windows and remove all my drives except my MVME drive wich has windows installed in it. Thanks a lot guys !!!!
Oh yeah I forgot, anyone has tips on overclocking a cpu ? :)