problem adding card

G

i have a pentium computer 233mhz socket 7 using a no name board with ali chipset it has 8mb pci video card and a creative labs sound card works great except when i added a network ethernet card i dont get a display so i removed the sound card and now it boots up i installed the drivers and all was well till i put the sound card back in it wont give me a display i tried using different slots on all three cards but that didnt help i cleared cmos but that didnt help either any ideas?

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, I guess you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

Have you checked your IRQs?
Have you tried the cards in different slots?
Perhaps your power supply is too small for the cards?

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try disabling unused com ports and or printer port in bios. Then enable the reset configuration also in bios, this will force a re shuffling of the irq's.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

G

im not in school anymore and i dont give a crap if i run on for like a million miles like ok like why dont you go back to your cave and sleep surferdude

G

you are 100% correct,except when i do this i get a post and all cards are in there proper irq'S sound (5) ethernet(10) display(11) and in windows no irq issues all is well until i turn off the computer then i get the same problem when i remove the cards and go into the bios i have to reset the configuration data again and start all over. twice after getting the system to post a display in windows me the system would just shut down all by itself.here are the specs again
pentium 233mhz mmx socket 7
creative labs ensonig sound card
trident 8mb pci card
linksys 10/100 fast ethernet everywhere card model nc100
quantum 4gig mode 4
160mb of pc100 sdram
sparkle 230 watt atx power supply
no name mobo with ali chipsets 100mhz bus
windows me
i thank you for all your help so far

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sounds like a power issue or a connector issue. I once built a system whereupon if I tightened the modem all the way into the slot i got no post. Upon loosening the modem just not even a full turn of the screw, I got the post.

Could be weak power supply also.

G

Hey Stu, dont you just love probs like that, i had similar prob with a cdr once, If WinMe recognises the nic then it cant be that, is the sound card ok?, have you tried a known good one?, let us know if you solve it

G

I WILL TRY THE POWER SUPPLY AND SEE IF THAT WORKS THANKS ILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT DOES