[SOLVED] Problem After Hardrive Installation

sansnom11

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
Hi,

I have a 500Gb SSD for my OS and a 1 TB hardrive for storage.

Recently I purchased an additional 1 TB hardrive for storage.

So I plugged in the new hardrive and have encountered a few problems.

1) When I start my PC the boot time is a lot longer. It stays stuck on the bios screen for a good 30 seconds, then Windows boots and takes much longer than it usually takes. Normally I would start my PC and i'd be on my desktop in a matter of seconds.

2) My old 1 TB hardrive is no longer detected by Windows. I opened the Disk Management and the following message appears:

"You must initialize a disk before the logical disk manager can access it"

I tried switching sata cables, plugging the hardrives in different Sata ports but the 2 issues I mentionned above are still present. The boot time is significantly longer and my old 1 TB hardrive is no longer recognized by Windows.

I checked the bios and my SSD is still the primary boot device so the boot time shouldn't take this long...

The funny thing is the new hardrive works perfectly. But ever since I installed it my old one doesn't work.

Do you guys have an idea what the issue may be?

Solution
What happens if you unplug the new hdd ?
It did the same thing. Boot time was long and old hardrive was still not detected.

The problem is solved now. I switched the connectors around again and everything is back to normal. Maybe the issue was with the power connecter, i'm not sure. But eveything is working now. PC boots fast and all drives are detected. Weird..

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

sansnom11

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
What happens if you unplug the new hdd ?
It did the same thing. Boot time was long and old hardrive was still not detected.

The problem is solved now. I switched the connectors around again and everything is back to normal. Maybe the issue was with the power connecter, i'm not sure. But eveything is working now. PC boots fast and all drives are detected. Weird..

Anyway, Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Solution