Question Problem after upgrading GPU to an Nvidia 1060 ?

Oct 14, 2024
Have an Alienware X51 R1 with 330 power brick with intel i5 with 16 gb ram , 1 tb ssd drive , windows 11 home with nvidia 1050ti 4gb gpu. I was looking for extra gpu vram so I installed nvidia 1060 6gb gpu.
However, I have issue where windows 11 device manager doesn't see the 1060 gpu and nvidia control panel doesn't see it either.

I reseated it 6 times. made no difference, i plugged into the two different 6-pin connectors to gpu, made no difference. i unplugged the 6-pin connector to see if pc would say something and in dos boot up , it said to plug in power cable to nvidia gpu card so dos see it but not windows.

I have the lastes bios A14. only difference between the 1050 ti gpu and the 1060 gpu is the 1050 ti doesn't require or has 6 pin power connector where as the 1060 needs 6 pin power connector and has 6gb ram where 1060ti has 4 bg ram. any ideas or has only came across this and ow did you fix. would getting R2 D85RT power board make any difference . cheers

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually installing the latest GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

alienware x51 r1 with 330 power brick
How old is the PSU in your prebuilt? Scratch that, does the power board in your prebuilt have a fan atop of it?

Further reading;
https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...possible-video-cards/647f89f2f4ccf8a8de9a78a4

Moved thread from Components section to Prebuilts and Enterprise section

Last edited:
Reactions: LIMERICKGUY
Oct 14, 2024
Have you tried installing drivers for the 1060?
Didn't as i have nvidia 1050ti gpu card installed before with lastest nvidia software, should i uninstall the nvidia software with drivers and nvidia experience . when i took out the nvidia 1060 gpu and put back the 1050 ti gpu, just worked. only difference between the 2 is 1050 ti is 4gb ram with no 6 pin power connector and the gpu I'm trying to install 1060 gpu with 6gb ram with 6 pin power connector. seems bios see it but windows 11 and nvidia software doesn't see it

Oct 14, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers(intel, AMD and Nvidia) in Safe Mode, then manually installing the latest GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

alienware x51 r1 with 330 power brick
How old is the PSU in your prebuilt? Scratch that, does the power board in your prebuilt have a fan atop of it?

Further reading;
https://www.dell.com/community/en/c...possible-video-cards/647f89f2f4ccf8a8de9a78a4

Moved thread from Components section to Prebuilts and Enterprise section
PSU is 5 years or less old
had to google DDU, i try it and uninstall nvidia software which includes drivers and experience software .
don't think power board has small fan on top, i check when i'm home from work, is power board mounted on motherboard or to holder of gru

Oct 13, 2024
with 6 pin power connector
I don't think the power connector is the problem here.

only difference between the 2 is 1050 ti is 4gb ram with no 6 pin power connector and the gpu I'm trying to install 1060 gpu with 6gb ram
Those are 2 different models so you will have to reinstall the drivers for it to work as it should. The best option will be to do as @Lutfij said and use DDU, although in this case I would say its optional.

You should put the new GPU in your system, boot into Windows, download the drivers, and run the installer. Restart after the installation is done and you should be good to go.

Reactions: LIMERICKGUY
Oct 14, 2024
I don't think the power connector is the problem here.

Those are 2 different models so you will have to reinstall the drivers for it to work as it should. The best option will be to do as @Lutfij said and use DDU, although in this case I would say its optional.

You should put the new GPU in your system, boot into Windows, download the drivers, and run the installer. Restart after the installation is done and you should be good to go.
cheers for that, I try it later when I got home from work, hopefully it will work.
question. my x51 r1 doesn't have D85RT power board with fan, does this matter.