Problem installing new graphics card in my laptop

Duderonomous

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014
Hello all,

Straight to the point: I recently bought a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470M GPU for my Sager NP8690 laptop to replace the old GPU that died. After physically installing the new one, the darn machine won't recognize it. It recognizes that there is new hardware, but it won't specifically list what it is. Windows installer prompts and does its thing for a bit and finally says: "Device driver software was not successfully installed. Unidentified Device. X No driver found."

Device Manager lists an "Unknown Device". and the Device Instance Path ID for it is: ROOT\SYSTEM\0001

The Display Adapter is only listed as a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter. That Device Instance Path ID is: PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0E3E&SUBSYS_86871558&REV_A1\4&2734D4F2&0&0018.

I'm pretty sure these won't work for another solution that has been posted before. But not positive about that. Anyway, downloading the latest drivers from Nvidia does me no good either. The driver update says: "NVIDIA Installer cannot continue. This graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware."

Using the MyConfig software, the GPU is listed under PCI/AGP card 3. Here are the specs:

General information

Bus/Device/Function
2 / 0 / 0

Vendor name
NVIDIA Corporation (Vendor ID: 0x10DE)

Event type
Display (Class: 0x03)

Keyboard subtype
Display (Sub-class: 0x00)

Revision ID
0xA1
PCI Express

PCI Express version

Bus type
PCI Express Endpoint

Maximum speed
x16

Current speed
x16

As you can see, it has a vendor ID but no Device ID.
So, how do I get my laptop to register the new GPU? Or, how do I get a proper Device ID? It did not come with an installation cd or anything. If I disable or uninstall the VGA Adapter, how will the machine recognize the 470M GPU? Going into system BIOS I cannot find anything that will allow me to switch display modes.

Duderonomous

Honorable
Jan 18, 2014

No I was unable to uninstall the old driver since it broke. But, I just put the old one back in and device manager says it's damaged even though it gives me the full description. The old one is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800. Wondering if I should uninstall it and try again.

Also, after putting in the new GPU, right when the laptop starts, there is a type of command prompt screen with Nvidia Corp. info on it, It only stays for about 5-6 seconds then goes to regular boot-up screen. Then another Nvidia boot-up-type of screen appears with more info on it, but that only flashes for about a second or two. Is there some command I'm supposed to type in on that 1st Nvidia screen? I tried several times to get in touch with the help people at Nvidia, but after 30-40 min wait times, I gave up. Very frustrating.