Problem installing new HDD

May 9, 2018
Hi . I've encountered a strange problem when trying to connect a new HDD . The thing is, with only my one drive connected, I can easily access the BIOS. When I connected a new one(now having 2 HDDs connected), I can't access the BIOS and the screen stays on the MB's homepage. Do you have any idea why it would do that? The new HDD is a WD Blue 1.0 TB drive, on a ASROCK micro atx motherboard.

over the past few years a lot of mb now have more then one sata chipset controller. some mb to add more sata 6g ports used asmedia chipsets. most time there brown colored ports. see in your mb user guild if you have two of those ports. make sure there off in the bios and your using the intel or amd 6g ports. of your mb has the newer m2 or nve slots on it. if you have m2 support on some of the older 6g sata ports are turned off. the last issue can be a bad controler on the new hard drive or bad sata cable. try the new drive by itself on a working cable. if it locks the system up return the drive as doa.

May 9, 2018

Hi. I reentered the BIOS and found that all but one of my sata ports were disabled. After Enabling them, I was able to see the new hard drive on the disk manager. However, I still have a problem initializing it. When I try to initialize it in MBR, the disk manager pops out an error saying that the disk management console is not up-to-date. Even if I refresh the console view and i try to reinitialize it the same message pops up. I tried restarting the computer, disconnections the HDD and reconnecting it to no avail. Ive linked an image of the disk manager view.

http://

As you can see, the console doesnt show the new disk, but it is still shown as an unallocated disk in need of initializing, even after refreshing the console.