Question Problem making phone calls with Phone Link app and talking through the computer headset ?

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
I’m trying to make phone calls from my windows 11 computer using a wired USB headset with mic (EPOS PC 8 USB On-Ear Stereo Headset) connected to the computer, but the audio on the PC headset is choppy.

I also tried pairing a Bluetooth headset (Nuroum HP30) with mic to the PC and I couldn't hear or talk through the headset: the headset played the PC's audio fine but not the calls audio, nor did it pick up my voice.

Any help much appreciated.

Windows 10 Home.
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H
Google Pixel 6a phone.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
First thing is to simplify.

Select one headset or other (as you prefer) and focus on getting it to work without issues.

= == =

My suggestions:

Uninstall PhoneLink.

Then go to the Microsoft store to manually download, reinstall and reconfigure the PhoneLink app. No third party tools or installers.

Be sure that the website is indeed Microsoft. Just because "Microsoft" appears in the URL does not mean that the website is actually Microsoft.

Likewise, have any applicable headset drivers available. If necessary, manually download from the applicable manufacturer's website. Install and configure.

Pay close attention to any popups and read carefully if choices are to be made.

Test the headset.

Determine what does and does not work.

Then, as necessary, right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner.

Do so will open an audio troubleshooting menu. Each menu item will, in turn, lead to any number of other windows, tabs, and properties settings. First explore and make note of the current configurations and settings.

Make no immediate changes. Just look for settings or configurations that are not as expected or simply incorrect.

Keep notes. If something is amiss go back and make a change. Again being sure to note what you are changing, where the change is being made, along with the original and values.

Just in case you need to go back for a "do over".....

Hopefully there is just some error of omission or commission.

Rodion15

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
First thing is to simplify.

Select one headset or other (as you prefer) and focus on getting it to work without issues.

= == =

My suggestions:

Uninstall PhoneLink.

Then go to the Microsoft store to manually download, reinstall and reconfigure the PhoneLink app. No third party tools or installers.

Be sure that the website is indeed Microsoft. Just because "Microsoft" appears in the URL does not mean that the website is actually Microsoft.

Likewise, have any applicable headset drivers available. If necessary, manually download from the applicable manufacturer's website. Install and configure.

Pay close attention to any popups and read carefully if choices are to be made.

Test the headset.

Determine what does and does not work.

Then, as necessary, right click the small speaker icon normally located in the lower right screen corner.

Do so will open an audio troubleshooting menu. Each menu item will, in turn, lead to any number of other windows, tabs, and properties settings. First explore and make note of the current configurations and settings.

Make no immediate changes. Just look for settings or configurations that are not as expected or simply incorrect.

Keep notes. If something is amiss go back and make a change. Again being sure to note what you are changing, where the change is being made, along with the original and values.

Just in case you need to go back for a "do over".....

Hopefully there is just some error of omission or commission.
I tried all that and no change. Thanks for the advice. I could never make Phone Link work with the headphones connected to the PC, maybe because it's intended to have them connected to the phone. I tried with another bluetooth headset with mic with the same result. The other features in phone link, such as messages, are working fine.