Problem: Mozilla Firefox starting 2 processes and consuming high amounts of CPU/RAM. Does anyone know a Solution?

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hallo,
I have been having problems with the Mozilla Firefox browser for the past 2 months. The browser always starts with 2 processes in Task Manager and tends to use a lot of CPU [30-40%] and memory [1.5-2 GB].

I tired everything that was suggested as a solution on online technical forums and Mozilla FAQ/support, right from reinstalling the browser, cleaning up the HDD and registry, downloading the latest version as well an older version which worked properly and more. Nothing has worked till now. I really want to solve this problem as the slowing down of the browser and the entire laptop is extremely hard to work with. This is especially true when I have to run some other application along with the browser like a design software or a game.

Does anyone know the cause/solution for this problem? Is anyone else having the same issue with the browser? Any help or suggestion would be great.

Here is a screenshot of my Task manager with the Mozilla Firefox browser's two processes: http://imgur.com/a/jgyfA

Solution
Check this. On many systems there is a setting in Windows about how to start up an application - by a single mouse click on its icon, or a double-click. I use the single-click option for most stuff. But occasionally my finger twitches or something and I double-click, and TWO instances of that app start up, taking a lot of time. Try a SINGLE click on your Firefox icon and see what happens.

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

Other browsers are okay and | have close all the extra tabs - right now only using around 10-12. I even deleted and closed all the OneTab after backing it up. I prefer Mozilla over Chrome because of sheer convenience, ease of use and my account sync.

Mirrorflame

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013

I removed all addons except for Adblock and Onetab. Even OneTab I removed all the stored tabs and close the OneTab listing tab.

Resetting FF?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check this. On many systems there is a setting in Windows about how to start up an application - by a single mouse click on its icon, or a double-click. I use the single-click option for most stuff. But occasionally my finger twitches or something and I double-click, and TWO instances of that app start up, taking a lot of time. Try a SINGLE click on your Firefox icon and see what happens.

Solution