Question Problem replacing identical router with identical settings

Sep 3, 2024
Hello

I'm the "network administrator" for our home. I set up a Netgear R6230 router with 3 access points around the house and it's been running smoothly for years. I bought a second R6230 as a backup and, to the best of my limited knowledge/abilities, configured it identically to the original. But when I switch them out, there is no data throughput with the second router, either on wifi or ethernet. I tried forgetting the network in wifi settings (Mac OS 14.6.1) and logging back in. I'm connecting with the wifi network, but, again, no data coming through from the internet. Only thing I can think of is the second router is defective. Is there something I'm missing? Probably. If so, please let me know.

Thanks as always,

Howie B

Sep 3, 2024
I can connect with all the access points, but no throughput. Ethernet connection from the router to my Macbook -- also no throughput.

I don't recall having to get ISP authorization when I set up the original. Anyway, I have Optimum (Altice). I know, I know . . . probably time to switch to Fios. But in the meantime, do I just call them and try to get through to tech support?

Thanks again!

But when I switch them out, there is no data throughput with the second router, either on wifi or ethernet.
Only thing I can think of is the second router is defective.
Is there something I'm missing? Probably. If so, please let me know.
First router has taken IP address provided by ISP.
If your ISP provides you with only a single IP address, then
it has to be released before you can use a different router.

Either release iP address taken by current router or
disconnect current router, wait until lease expires and then
connect new router.
8h wait time should be enough. But this depends on ISP (could be more).