[SOLVED] Problem setting th ASUS QFAN speed and temperatures

May 6, 2021
Hi there
i got an asus rog strix dark hero VIII mobo and 7 fans

3 fans from the liquid cooler
3 front fans
1 rear fan

those fans are connectet to Chassis 2 Chassis 3 and the last one to another connector ( wich is not Chassis but i cant remember the name )

th fact is that i cannot fully configure the Chassis 2 and 3 values while i can fully choose operetional envelope of the last one:

in manual mode chassis fan 1 and 2 have a minimum of 60% rpm speed even at 0 temp and the 3 "dots" of the configuration cant go below 60%.

if i use any other pre selected profile the RPM% varies accordingly to the profile selected, but if i use manual mode the minimum operating speed become 60%.

the chassis 1 ( none of the vents is connected on this channel ) allows me to decrease the rpm to a minimum of 20% ( wich would be nice )

meanwhile the fourt channel ( sorry for not remember the name ) is fully configurable

Any suggestion?

thank you

Solution
where can i look for it ?
it will be on the Fan Xpert page of the AI Suite software,
a utility offered by ASUS for motherboard control options within Windows.

you should also make sure you have the latest BIOS and all motherboard drivers directly from the ASUS product support page.
if there was a known fan header control problem, it would most likely have been fixed through either or both.

if you've never visited your motherboard's download page(s);
it will be found under the "Support" tab on your motherboard's main product information page,
via rog.asus.com
May 6, 2021
as in, 2 fans on each header
or 3 intakes on one \ 1 exhaust on another?

idealy the CPU cooler's fans should be connected to the CPU_FAN header.
the intake fans should be on one CHA_FAN
and the exhaust should be on another CHA_FAN.
That is: cpu fan in on the cpu fan header 2 intake on cha fan 2, 1 intake+ 1 exhaust on cha fan 3, the cooling on another header.
the problem i got is that i cannot set the minimum rpm belo 60% on the settings of cha fan 2 and 3 , and i dont understand why.

the problem i got is that i cannot set the minimum rpm belo 60% on the settings of cha fan 2 and 3
and for the third time,
are they are the same make\model?
if the fans are different models and\or with different RPMs, than the header cannot determine the min\max RPM and defaults to a pre-determined %.

and many headers + splitters can't properly utilize the PWM function for multiple fans.
if it is a lower quality splitter, even with same model fans, the header may not be able to properly calculate the power and\or the RPM between multiple fans.

do you have the ASUS Hydranode option available and enabled in AI Suite or in the BIOS? this can help with these types of issues.

are the fan % \ ° options the same in AI Suite?
using it will override any BIOS fan settings and can offer better detection vs Qfan.
2 intake on cha fan 2, 1 intake+ 1 exhaust on cha fan 3
the better option would be the intakes on a single header
and the exhaust on a single header.
this way you can set separate custom fan curve profiles for both.

having 3x intakes running at lower RPMs than the 1x exhaust will result in less fan noise and still offer good positive pressure.
and as the temperature increases you can have them auto-adjust to a further or closer curve depending on which works best for any particular system.

you should probably invest in a proper fan hub if the splitters aren't capable.

May 6, 2021
and for the third time,

if the fans are different models and\or with different RPMs, than the header cannot determine the min\max RPM and defaults to a pre-determined %.

and many headers + splitters can't properly utilize the PWM function for multiple fans.
if it is a lower quality splitter, even with same model fans, the header may not be able to properly calculate the power and\or the RPM between multiple fans.

do you have the ASUS Hydranode option available and enabled in AI Suite or in the BIOS? this can help with these types of issues.

are the fan % \ ° options the same in AI Suite?
using it will override any BIOS fan settings and can offer better detection vs Qfan.
the better option would be the intakes on a single header
and the exhaust on a single header.
this way you can set separate custom fan curve profiles for both.

having 3x intakes running at lower RPMs than the 1x exhaust will result in less fan noise and still offer good positive pressure.
and as the temperature increases you can have them auto-adjust to a further or closer curve depending on which works best for any particular system.

you should probably invest in a proper fan hub if the splitters aren't capable.
Thank you for the advise, actually it has been laziness not to separate the fan in the proper headers, but the problem still remain:

assuming i properly connect the 3 intake over 1 chassis and the exhaust on another one, i still have the problem that under the settings is not possible to me to lower under 60% the minimum rpm of the fans speed, wich result in a costant noise.
atm i'm using the dc configuration that allows me to turn the vents at 0 rpm until 60 degrees and then the immediately start at 60% rpm wich is everithing but optimal.

Any suggestion ?

the mobo is the asus rog strix dark hero VIII

May 6, 2021
you could start by answering the other multiple questions i've asked, some multiple times now.
Sorry, i read only the last question:

Fans are all same model same size

i was already using whe pwm function and managed to lower the minimum rpm of all fans below 60%: actually i was working with fans ( all of them ) at 20% until Temp reaches 35 degrees and then gradually increase the rpm as the temp raises: this had a major problem: the fans start to accellerate and decelerate constantly making a very noisy souund, so i decided to modify the parameters again, i entered the bios and as i touched the dot that detrmine the temp and the rpm, the line set automatically that the mionimu rpm was 60% regardless of the temperature.

actually i dont know, where can i look for it ?

<you could start by answering the other multiple questions i've asked, some multiple times now.
thank you for the patient and the help

where can i look for it ?
it will be on the Fan Xpert page of the AI Suite software,
a utility offered by ASUS for motherboard control options within Windows.

you should also make sure you have the latest BIOS and all motherboard drivers directly from the ASUS product support page.
if there was a known fan header control problem, it would most likely have been fixed through either or both.

if you've never visited your motherboard's download page(s);
it will be found under the "Support" tab on your motherboard's main product information page,
via rog.asus.com

Solution