Question Problem swapping screens on two similar Lenovo laptops ?

Dec 17, 2022
Hi!

So, I have a T460s and a T470s right now. Both have some damage on their screens, and I want to swap them over. The problem is that the 470s will go happily with the 460s' screen, but it doesn't work the opposite way, because, as I turn on my T460s after changing the screens, it will start to project completely red, green, blue, black, white screen in a loop, and the color changes every second - just like a diagnostic session which I can't exit. I can open the BIOS, however, I don't see it. I see the same sequence, I just hear that I opened it.

I tried some switching off options like pressing the power button for a long time, pressing the reset button (on the bottom through the pinhole) for a while, but nothing helps.

Do you have any idea (which is not buying new screen(s))?

Thank you a lot in advance!

Most probably this is due to BIOS support on the newer unit for the older screen but lacking the necessary hardware support in the older version for the newer screen. A newer BIOS update, if one is available, MIGHT fix that unfortunately without a working display you will have a hard time doing that and while some laptops will support an external display even for pre-Windows environments there are also a good many that won't in my experience.

But you could certainly try. If you have another monitor you can attach to the unit you can see if you can get a display onscreen and if so, and if there IS a newer BIOS version, you MIGHT be able to do it that way. That's about the only thing I can suggest and likely the only thing that might possibly work since there are no other reasons why one screen would work and another wouldn't, other than a lack of support for that specific panel. Seems really odd though since if they both use the same ribbon cable and connector and are the same size it should be a plug and play affair but that's the only advice I can offer that might be helpful.

Dec 17, 2022
Most probably this is due to BIOS support on the newer unit for the older screen but lacking the necessary hardware support in the older version for the newer screen. A newer BIOS update, if one is available, MIGHT fix that unfortunately without a working display you will have a hard time doing that and while some laptops will support an external display even for pre-Windows environments there are also a good many that won't in my experience.

But you could certainly try. If you have another monitor you can attach to the unit you can see if you can get a display onscreen and if so, and if there IS a newer BIOS version, you MIGHT be able to do it that way. That's about the only thing I can suggest and likely the only thing that might possibly work since there are no other reasons why one screen would work and another wouldn't, other than a lack of support for that specific panel. Seems really odd though since if they both use the same ribbon cable and connector and are the same size it should be a plug and play affair but that's the only advice I can offer that might be helpful.
Thank you for this answer, I will try soon and reply about results!

Dec 17, 2022

I have the newest BIOS. Any other ideas?

Dec 17, 2022
Sorry, but I'm out of ideas then. Maybe contact the OEM and ask them?
I will try. A user on Lenovo Forums told me that maybe I should swap cables and/or the circuits too. Of course I will try hoping that it will solve the problem (even though I don't think it will), but what do you think about that?

If the cable on the newer unit works with both panels, then the cable on the older unit should too. But, maybe the cable on the older unit is damaged. Might even be why the display wasn't working. It's not AT ALL uncommon for these micro ribbon cables to become damaged from repeated folding or pinching.

Dec 17, 2022
If the cable on the newer unit works with both panels, then the cable on the older unit should too. But, maybe the cable on the older unit is damaged. Might even be why the display wasn't working. It's not AT ALL uncommon for these micro ribbon cables to become damaged from repeated folding or pinching.
It might be, but as I started to disassemble the devices, I had an idea and it made the whole process unnecessary. It’s actually a compatibility problem, I’ve found IDs on the screen and checked for them. (It took a while.) Anyways, thank you for your help!