[SOLVED] Problem trying to restore/set up an iMac ?

Jay Wicks

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
I have a 2014 iMac I'm trying to sell so I restored the iMac but now I am greeted with a question-mark folder which I then entered restore mode but I can't restore from either backup or reinstall the OS die to a error on the hard drive (see photo attached)

https://pasteboard.co/K45frXa.jpg

Any suggestions on what to do next ?

Solution
I meant to format the boot drive with Disk Utility in Internet Recovery mode. Command-Option-R

Once it’s formatted and reinstalled. You can worry about retrieving your data from your backup. If using Migration Assistant. Try just the user folders. Manually restore settings and reinstall apps yourself. If that doesn’t restore. You’ll need to try and manually retrieve files from the backup.

if the internal boot drive still won’t wipe from Internet Recovery. Using the method I outlined. It’s time to replace the boot drive. If you don’t want to crack the Mac open. Just use an external SSD and pretend the internal doesn’t exist.
Change the Scheme of the drive to MBR then switch back to GUID (Intel bootable). This usually clears out format command hangups. Then set the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Don't worry if it is an SSD. When you install the OS. If it detects the drive is an SSD it'll switch it to APFS during the install. You just don't want APFS to end up on a HDD or Fusion Drive.

The linked shows how to change the Scheme and show the whole drive in Disk Utility.
https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/format-a-disk-for-windows-computers-dskutl1010/mac

Jay Wicks

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2014
Change the Scheme of the drive to MBR then switch back to GUID (Intel bootable). This usually clears out format command hangups. Then set the format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Don't worry if it is an SSD. When you install the OS. If it detects the drive is an SSD it'll switch it to APFS during the install. You just don't want APFS to end up on a HDD or Fusion Drive.

The linked shows how to change the Scheme and show the whole drive in Disk Utility.
https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/format-a-disk-for-windows-computers-dskutl1010/mac
Thanks for that information the issue is I cannot launch the iMac at all to access anything setting or configurations I tried using command s to get into single start mode but no luck I can only access the command r menu.

I did back up another iMac and used a hdd to launch the iMac but it won't let me restore form the external as it says the HDD is damaged or not working

I meant to format the boot drive with Disk Utility in Internet Recovery mode. Command-Option-R

Once it’s formatted and reinstalled. You can worry about retrieving your data from your backup. If using Migration Assistant. Try just the user folders. Manually restore settings and reinstall apps yourself. If that doesn’t restore. You’ll need to try and manually retrieve files from the backup.

if the internal boot drive still won’t wipe from Internet Recovery. Using the method I outlined. It’s time to replace the boot drive. If you don’t want to crack the Mac open. Just use an external SSD and pretend the internal doesn’t exist.

Solution