Problem with 1080 Ti

Delnilas

Reputable
Oct 8, 2014
I recently bought the ASUS STRIX 1080 TI for my system. I've been fiddling with overclocking it with EVGA Precision. Since I've been toying around with it, (during intital tests, I tried 250 on the core clock, but pulled it down to 210 for further testing right after), its developed coil whine, which it didn't have to start with.

And I think it's performance is dropping as well. My Firestrike score went up with the overclocks and Unigen Heaven went down by almost one thousand points. I've replicated the circumstances of the original bench test, it just dropped even further.

I've tried restarting, but I haven't yet tested doing a full shutdown and reboot. If anyone has any suggestions of fixes, or if I should just try to return it.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/66gQr7
My build. In case there is something there that is relavent.

If any advice could be offered, I'd appreciate it.

Solution
coil whine is going to happen regardless of overclocking with some GPUs, you could send it back and get another one but whos to say it wont happen with the new one. unfortunately coil whine is something we all have to deal with at one time or another. but yea id send it back see if it fixes it but IMO coil whine is normal and happens

Trun187

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2014
coil whine is going to happen regardless of overclocking with some GPUs, you could send it back and get another one but whos to say it wont happen with the new one. unfortunately coil whine is something we all have to deal with at one time or another. but yea id send it back see if it fixes it but IMO coil whine is normal and happens

Solution

krells

Distinguished
Coil whine is pretty normal for these cards so unless it is really bad I wouldn't bother with returning it since the replacement will likely have the same issue. Overclocking, increasing voltage, increasing the power limit will often make the coil whine louder under load so that might be why you didn't hear it originally.