Question Problem with 5600G integrated graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 21, 2021
I wasn't sure if I should post this under CPU, graphics cards, motherboard or what because I am not exactly sure what is causing this issue.

My problem is this:

I built this setup 5 weeks ago.

Ryzen 5 5600G + Arctic Freezer 34
ASUS Prime B550-Plus
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 - 2 x 8 gb DDR4
Corsair rm650X 650W (2018 model)
512 gb SSD + 2 tb hdd

As I don't play games I intentionally made this setup with iGPU, it is good enough for me.

Well, it works but I get this very annoying problem every 2-3 days.

First I had Windows 10 Pro and this happened:

1. My screen goes black, I have to manually reset, and I get this error on my eventlog. The well known "display driver stopped responding and has recovered".

2. A couple of days after that I got a screen full of artefacts after I turned on my computer and it loaded Windows, and the same error on system log.

First I used 21.10.2 Optional drivers. Then I used DDU and installed 21.8.2 WHQL, with the same results.

OK, then I decided to try Windows 11.

Installed it on 17. Oct and after 4 days the error is back.

Again I got a screen full of artefacts when I loaded Windows. (curious that it often happens on startup). The only difference this time was that I got nothing on system log. Maybe it didn't put anything there or maybe I reseted the computer too hastily.

Looked like this: View: https://imgur.com/a/2MUP6Mr

The problem with Win11 is that there is only one driver version available, it is "optional". I have to wait for a WHQL version. But with Win10 it didn't make a difference, it acted up just like the other version.

Although it happens every 2-3 days, it is driving me nuts. I want it fixed.

What I can deduce myself is this:

• RAM should be OK. I used it on my previous setup for 2 years and never had an issue. Also it is compatible with my motherboard according to ASUS.
  • PSU should also be OK. Used it with my previous setup for 2-3 years and never had any problems.
  • BIOS is the latest. And I haven't done any overclocking etc.
  • CPU temp is OK, no problems there.

Any idea how to solve this would be welcomed. I seriously hope there isn't anything wrong with the hardware. It seems many people have the same issue and for most of them that isn't the case(?). If the motherboard or CPU / GPU would be faulty, shouldn't it do it more than once in a few days? Also when I get those artefacts on startup, it is just fine after I reset again. Until next time that it days away. So it is not constantly like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Covid31

Phil_33

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2016
Nice to bump in one of these threads. I saw there are a couple of them. I myself was out on 1 of these but luckely I see these threads and now I know I need to wait a few more months. So thank you for that!
So this makes me wonder, is the 5600g reliable enough to play on integrated graphics?
Would the manufacturer see this as a problem and work on it?

I would suggest send this problem to AMD support itself and to AMD processor support. Maybe they can find solutions and maybe they can work on this problem for future processors.
Any other then that I don't have a problem but then again I'm not experienced into 101 problemshoot in PC's...

Keep us posted! Thanks!

Oct 21, 2021
I sent this to AMD support and got multiple replies. Sent them all kinds of logs etc.

The result : Nothing, it was absolutely useless. They just told me to reinstall Windows etc., which I have done already.

Next I will just bypass this iGPU with a discreet card and never buy these kind of processors again.

I had similar issues with my old 2400G, I should have learned my lesson, but noooo.... I just had to buy this. Well, 2 times is enough, there won't be a 3rd that's for sure.

BTW: My latest observations about this: It absolutely has to be a software issue. I tried running Linux for a week, and got ZERO errors.

Oct 21, 2021
RAM installed to slots A2 and B2, this was recommended in the manual.

When I install this RAM it is 2133 by default. I have tested it with 2133, 2933 and 3000. No difference. With 2933 and 3000 I used the ready made profiles, didn't change any settings myself.

What also comes to mind is that I could test this:

It seems to happen on startup about 2 times out of 3, and 1 time out of 3 it happens when the computer has been on for hours.

Something that loads on bootup may mess with the AMD driver somehow? I know it could be far fetched but at this point who knows.

It loads these on startup:
  • EPSON ET-2720 printer driver
  • Logitech software for G305 mouse
  • Software for wireless headset . Roccat 7.1 ELO Air
  • Norton 360

I THOUGHT I had the error before installing some of these, that's why I didn't think about it too much. But now when I check the system images I saved, I'm not so sure anymore.

I could try to restore an image that has none of these, and try adding them one by one every few days.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021
Final update: Restored an image that had none of those aforementioned drivers. Installed AMD graphics driver. Didn't take more than 5 hours to get the error again.

I've had it. Can't be bothered with this anymore. I removed the driver and installed an old nVidia graphics card I had in my closet.

Lesson learned. AMD APU, never again. Two times is enough. :)

Other people having this same issue, I wish you the best of luck. Hopefully you can make it work.

Oct 21, 2021
I have tested it with memtest and it passed.

Also I used the same set with another computer and it worked just fine. The problem started immediately when I assembled this one, using the same RAM.

It seems now that most of the time when I get those artifacts I also get the notification about driver timeout on my log, if I wait long enough.

Had the same kind of issue with my 2400G, tried to get rid of it for months. Finally it just vanished, I don't even know why exactly. After that it worked just fine for three years until I sold it to my friend.

Also it seems that I don't get this at all with Linux.

D

Deleted member 14196

It’s a known issue on windows with bios and gpu drivers. Roll back to old drivers that didn’t do this

Don’t be like all the other people who just upgrade drivers for no reason if everything is working properly leave your system alone and stop upgrading drivers they’re not always the better thing to upgrade to sometimes they cause problems

Oct 21, 2021
The problem is, with this setup I never had a driver that didn't do this.

I have tried versions

So I didn't try different versions while mine was working properly, it never was, with any version.

Usually I don't update drivers if I don't have a specific issue.

Dec 15, 2021
It seems to happen on startup about 2 times out of 3, and 1 time out of 3 it happens when the computer has been on for hours.

I also have this problem and I tried every possible solution and still no luck. Using the latest bios & drivers, windows is up to date, Overkill PSU (Corsair RM750X), Ram kits (XMP on also in QVL) tested with memtest64 and testmem5. Various different attempts and still no luck. There are other people having this issue and at this point I am guessing it is a design flaw of these APUs.

Oct 21, 2021
I gave up on this. I installed an old nvidia Quadro M2000 5 weeks ago and bypassed that igpu.

ZERO problems after that. The CPU is working just fine otherwise.

Lesson learned. Never get these APUs again. Two times I've tried, two times I've had issues. From now on it will always be a separate graphics card for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.