[SOLVED] Problem with adding new RAM

rajkovic.petar2000

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
I recently bought some new DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) to add on to my old system. It has been using 2x4GB Patriot 1866Mhz RAM since I originally bought it some time ago, so I wanted to add two more RAM modules to have a 4x4GB. When I tried to add the new RAM I just got, the PC wouldn’t post. It posts with 2x4GB old RAM, but doesn’t post in any other configuration, not even just one stick of the old RAM. All 4 slots work since it posts with old RAM modules on slots 1 and 3, and on 2 and 4. Does anyone know why I’m having this issue? Thank you guys in advance!

Solution
Mixing RAM kits is never guaranteed to work, RAM should be bought as a single matched kit. As for using 1 stick did you try all slots? The motherboard instructions will say which slot to use when only using 1 stick. If that still doesn’t work then try clearing CMOS

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I recently bought some new DDR3 RAM (2x4GB) to add on to my old system. It has been using 2x4GB Patriot 1866Mhz RAM since I originally bought it some time ago, so I wanted to add two more RAM modules to have a 4x4GB. When I tried to add the new RAM I just got, the PC wouldn’t post. It posts with 2x4GB old RAM, but doesn’t post in any other configuration, not even just one stick of the old RAM. All 4 slots work since it posts with old RAM modules on slots 1 and 3, and on 2 and 4. Does anyone know why I’m having this issue? Thank you guys in advance!
post a link to the exact ram you had and the new ram, also what motherboard.

Reactions: rajkovic.petar2000
Systems with ddr3 although more tolerant than current ddr4 still had compatibility issues with mixing RAM especially with differing frequency or CL timings.

Ram kits are binned by the manufacturer into matched modules and into a single kit that will work together. These kits are listed on the MB QVL and it's from this list you should choose a kit that your MB and CPU support.
Return what you can and get a single kit that are QVL tested and known to work together.
List your MB if you need further help?

Reactions: rajkovic.petar2000

rajkovic.petar2000

Reputable
Nov 15, 2018
Okay turns out I just had a goof and forgot to check the BIOS settings. Apparently it was configured specifically for 2x4GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, and that obviously didn't do any good to my 4x4GB @ 1866Mhz or any other configuration for that matter. Thank you guys a lot for your help though, it really means a lot. Cheers and have a good one!