Problem with an All-In-One Card Reader

ColdAtrophy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
So I recently built an average home use PC. It's just for super light gaming, web browsing, photo work, etc. Nothing too intensive. I built it for my neighbor. He plans on buying 4GB more RAM and a Blu-Ray drive in the coming few months.

Here are the specs:

AMD A10-5800K 3.8ghz
4 GB G. Skill Ripjawz X Series 1600mhz DDR3
Antec VP-450 PSU
Asus A78M-A Motherboard
1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD
Rosewill Galaxy-02-A Case
Tek Republic TUC-2000 All-In-One Card Reader
Windows 8.1 Pro

The only problem I have after building it is this. The card reader only works (reads and recognizes the card in its' slot) after I open Device Manager and click on the SD-MMC device. Once I do this, the PC recognizes that the SD card is plugged in and opens the "F:" drive which is the card.

I have Googled the problem. I can't seem to find any other examples where people had this problem. The drivers for the device are the generics that come with Windows 8.1. Perhaps there are better drivers for this device? I tried downloading the manual for this device from Tek Republic's website. I get a 404 error. If anyone can recommend how I go about getting this card reader to work, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you need anymore information, just ask.

ColdAtrophy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014

I'm currently using my laptop to ask this. The computer in question is at my neighbor's and he isn't home right now. As soon as I can go back over there, I will indeed get the screenshot.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Hmmm have you tried any different headers on the board? You could also try to hot plug it in and see if that makes a difference. (Plugging it into the header while the PC is on) Also installing the motherboard USB drivers may help. I'll do some searching around for any other OEM readers that are similar to yours and see if I can find drivers for them that might work on yours.

ColdAtrophy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Thanks for the help. There is only one USB header left on the board. I will have to look for the motherboard USB drivers. It's an Asus board, so I guess I should visit their website?

ColdAtrophy

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Okay, thank you. I will give a try either tonight or tomorrow and let you know how it went. Thank you for sticking with me over the last few days in your effort to help me fix this.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Awww its no problem. I hate it when stuff only semi works. That is really the most frustrating part of technology. And getting undocumented bugs is the worst. Being unable to google it and see that someone hasn't ever had the same issue as you makes you feel hopeless. But that's why were here.