I have vanilla Civ3 that I purchased from a download (gotta love the
bandwidth). It came with version 1.29f, and of course no CD. I tried
installing the DyP Mod per the instructions. The game loaded with the DyP
version on the first splash, but then things went wrong from there. The "O"
and "X" at the bottom right did not image although the function was there.
The first turn map comes up but all the control boxes are messed up and the
game crashes (Civ3.exe). I tried installing the 1.29f patch anyway, but
after that the game requests the CD. Since I bought a download, I don't
have the CD. Again, the game is at 1.29f anyway.

Anyone encounter this problem and have a remedy? Dyp guys? BTW, I looked
through the DyP site messages but it is quite difficult to extract
troubleshooting information this way. Hoping someone can assist this way.

TIA, vsyxx

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 13:49:26 -0400, "Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Anyone encounter this problem and have a remedy? Dyp guys?

I don't remember all the DYP files and their versions, but I only play
it from the PTW disk, fully patched. Runs like a champ. It will not
run from a Conquests .exe, so maybe it won't run from a Civ3 .exe
either.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

"Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net> wrote
> I have vanilla Civ3 that I purchased from a download (gotta love the
> bandwidth). It came with version 1.29f, and of course no CD. I tried
> installing the DyP Mod per the instructions. The game loaded with the DyP
> version on the first splash, but then things went wrong from there. The
"O"
> and "X" at the bottom right did not image although the function was there.
> The first turn map comes up but all the control boxes are messed up and
the
> game crashes (Civ3.exe). I tried installing the 1.29f patch anyway, but
> after that the game requests the CD. Since I bought a download, I don't
> have the CD. Again, the game is at 1.29f anyway.

Um, I don't know wether to laugh at this lame story, or actually believe you
bought a Warez version of a game and thought it was a legitimate version.
Just wondering, how much did you pay for it?

--
John Simpson
http://nighthawk.mine.nu/

"Quantum Physics: The dreams stuff is made of."

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 20:02:28 +1000, "John Simpson"
<I_am@melbourne.net.au> wrote:

>"Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net> wrote
>> I have vanilla Civ3 that I purchased from a download (gotta love the
>> bandwidth). It came with version 1.29f, and of course no CD. I tried
>> installing the DyP Mod per the instructions. The game loaded with the DyP
>> version on the first splash, but then things went wrong from there. The
>"O"
>> and "X" at the bottom right did not image although the function was there.
>> The first turn map comes up but all the control boxes are messed up and
>the
>> game crashes (Civ3.exe). I tried installing the 1.29f patch anyway, but
>> after that the game requests the CD. Since I bought a download, I don't
>> have the CD. Again, the game is at 1.29f anyway.
>
>Um, I don't know wether to laugh at this lame story, or actually believe you
>bought a Warez version of a game and thought it was a legitimate version.
>Just wondering, how much did you pay for it?

No, it is one of the games put out for paid download. I don't
remember the site -- someone here might. I kind of like the concept
but prefer having the old fashioned game box.

I don't know why DyP might not work, but you *do* have to have the
version compatible for your game -- Civ3 vs. PTW.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:05:18 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
<jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:

> No, it is one of the games put out for paid download. I don't
>remember the site -- someone here might. I kind of like the concept
>but prefer having the old fashioned game box.
>
> I don't know why DyP might not work, but you *do* have to have the
>version compatible for your game -- Civ3 vs. PTW.

If it is a legit site shouldn't it come in such a way that someone
could burn it to CD and use that. That would save on the cost of
packaging which is very expensive. Yet it wouldn't leave a person
handicapped like this where they have some different version of the
game. I can only assume it is a hacked copy of the game whether it is
legal or not.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 23:18:46 -0400, P12 <nomail@all.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:05:18 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
><jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:
>
>> No, it is one of the games put out for paid download. I don't
>>remember the site -- someone here might. I kind of like the concept
>>but prefer having the old fashioned game box.
>>
>> I don't know why DyP might not work, but you *do* have to have the
>>version compatible for your game -- Civ3 vs. PTW.
>
>If it is a legit site shouldn't it come in such a way that someone
>could burn it to CD and use that. That would save on the cost of
>packaging which is very expensive. Yet it wouldn't leave a person
>handicapped like this where they have some different version of the
>game. I can only assume it is a hacked copy of the game whether it is
>legal or not.

The download version is a different executable -- it doesn't check
for the CD obviously -- but AFAIK how it runs scenarios should be the
same. Of course, for some mods like DyP you need to match the program
version/patch, and if the download game doesn't have the same patch it
won't work.

What else? It may lack the scenario support (graphic and sound)
folders of the CD version. Not sure, but DyP does use some of those.
So while the game itself works, the scenarios may fail because they
can't find the graphics (which went unused in the stock scenarios).

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:22:32 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
<jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:

> What else? It may lack the scenario support (graphic and sound)
>folders of the CD version. Not sure, but DyP does use some of those.
>So while the game itself works, the scenarios may fail because they
>can't find the graphics (which went unused in the stock scenarios).

This may be something different than you're talking about, but the DYP
d/l site has a big file (about 85 meg I think) of graphics stuff
available if you don't previously have them. You have to read the
instructions pretty carefully to know what it is and if you need it.

Steve
--
www.thepaxamsolution.com

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:00:03 -0500, Steve Bartman <sbartman@visi.com>
wrote:

>This may be something different than you're talking about, but the DYP
>d/l site has a big file (about 85 meg I think) of graphics stuff
>available if you don't previously have them. You have to read the
>instructions pretty carefully to know what it is and if you need it.
>
>Steve

Yeah I believe at least one person had trouble with that. It is also
a good idea to clean up the older PTW version of DYP. The filenames
where slightly different and could cause confusion

<jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:

> The download version is a different executable -- it doesn't check
>for the CD obviously -- but AFAIK how it runs scenarios should be the
>same. Of course, for some mods like DyP you need to match the program
>version/patch, and if the download game doesn't have the same patch it
>won't work.
>
> What else? It may lack the scenario support (graphic and sound)
>folders of the CD version. Not sure, but DyP does use some of those.
>So while the game itself works, the scenarios may fail because they
>can't find the graphics (which went unused in the stock scenarios).

Yes I have GOY Edition of Civ III. Several of the files and folders
are named differently. Civ III points to sound and image files
located in those Civ III locations. Civ III often will fatal crash if
there any missing files. I was able to track the DYP text files and
edit those locations to point to the actual file. I think they where
all unit based sounds/images so the game ran fine until those where
built and used.

That sounds like the fix. I'll have a look at the text file and compare.

vsyxx
"P12" <nomail@all.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 07:22:32 -0500, Jeffery S. Jones
> <jeffsj@execpc.com> wrote:
>
> > The download version is a different executable -- it doesn't check
> >for the CD obviously -- but AFAIK how it runs scenarios should be the
> >same. Of course, for some mods like DyP you need to match the program
> >version/patch, and if the download game doesn't have the same patch it
> >won't work.
> >
> > What else? It may lack the scenario support (graphic and sound)
> >folders of the CD version. Not sure, but DyP does use some of those.
> >So while the game itself works, the scenarios may fail because they
> >can't find the graphics (which went unused in the stock scenarios).
>
> Yes I have GOY Edition of Civ III. Several of the files and folders
> are named differently. Civ III points to sound and image files
> located in those Civ III locations. Civ III often will fatal crash if
> there any missing files. I was able to track the DYP text files and
> edit those locations to point to the actual file. I think they where
> all unit based sounds/images so the game ran fine until those where
> built and used.

Thanks for all the input. BTW, I think it was a legit download from
Trymedia Inc. Yes/No? It seems to be legit.

Anyway, I'm going to upgrade to Conquests shortly.

thanks again, vsyxx

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:13:42 -0400, "Vsyxx" <vsyxx@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>That sounds like the fix. I'll have a look at the text file and compare.

The text files I was referring too are many. You would have to narrow
it down to what was causing the problem.

I think all my problems resided this folder:
C:\Program Files\Infogrames Interactive\Civilization
III\CIV3PTW\Scenarios\DyP\Art\Units

One problem I had was in this file for example:
UH1\Uh1.ini

The Attack1 path exist in my package so I pointed the file to a
different sound file. You don't have to worry about the ".." in front
of the path since that will cause it to look in all the Civ III
folders. But the subfolders and files need to exist.

> Thanks for all the input. BTW, I think it was a legit download from
> Trymedia Inc. Yes/No? It seems to be legit.

Sorry that i'm so late for the party. Holidays, lots of work and other
stuff has kept me away from this NG for too long, I'm afraid.

I can vouch that you probably have a legit copy of the game. I can also
vouch that for some reason the distributors (not really sure if that's
Atari or some middleman between Atari and these 'games-download' sites)
decided to mess up all the filenames in a bad way as part of some
elaborate copy-protection scheme.

I don't think there's any way in the world it's humanly possible to make
the DYP mod work with any of the downloadable versions I've been
introduced to.

I'd love to say something positive about this distribution form. Buying
games online has a lot going for it, but in this particular case, the
people in charge were thinking with their... ehrm.. were not thinking at
all.

Take care before you upgrade to C3C - you may run into trouble installing
C3C over your version of Civ3 too.

Just a word of warning. Don't hesitate to complain to the the site you've
downloaded it from. Then maybe next time they'll get it right... :)

--
/Isak

Release Manager of the Double Your Pleasure mod -
http://civ3.bernskov.com

Join the Civ3 Modding Community at -
http://www.cdgroup.org/forums/tbs/civ3