[SOLVED] Problem with ethernet connection

Jan 21, 2021
I use an ethernet connection on my PC and for about 6 months now I've been on a 1Gb/s plan from my ISP, but the highest speed I could achieve on various speed tests was around 250Mb/s. I thought that maybe it was the ISP that didn't provide the speed we've been paying for, but since it's my dad who pays and takes care of everything, I didn't look further into it.

Two weeks ago however, my dad bought himself a decent laptop and he has around 500Mb/s download while on Wi-Fi. This made me curious if perhaps my ethernet cable / the onboard adapter was the issue the whole time. It turned out that when connected to the same cable as my PC, the laptop had around 900Mb/s download speed. The first thing that came to my mind was buying a PCI-E ethernet adapter, so I bought it and it arrived today. Unfortunately, after installing it together with the drivers, it turns out that it didn't help at all - the internet speeds are more or less the same. I checked the router settings (it was supplied by my ISP and it's called UPC Connect Box) and it says that my PC is running on a 1000Mbps connection, which clearly is not the case on my end. I also checked the adapter's properties in device manager and it also says that it's running on 1Gbps.

I don't really know what to do and what the issue is anymore. I tried disabling the onboard ethernet adapter in BIOS but as you can imagine it didn't help either.

My specs in case it matters:
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
ASUS A320M-K
Ryzen 1600x
16GB DDR4 3000MHz ram
GTX 960 2GB
TP-Link TG-3468

Solution
ok, just in case u can run those commands aswell, its teh basic network reset stuff
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns
then reboot
can you run those 2 command in powershell and post here your results?

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -DisplayName "Speed & Duplex" | fl DisplayName, DisplayValue, ValidDisplayValues,Name
Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -DisplayName "Speed & Duplex" | Select -Expand ValidDisplayValues

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Agree with kerberos on getting the speed and duplex of the connection however you must have a 1Gb connection as you are already connecting at 250Mb so it must be a limitation on the machine itself.

I'd recommend you to right lick on your network connnection, select properties, configure and advanced you will get dozens of options appear that you can enable/disable or set to a specific value. What I want you to try is disabling anything referring to Green ethernet, power saving and anything mentioning offload e.g. ARP Offload or Checksum Offload. Make a note of any changes so you can reverse them but I've done numerous server builds and often found these features can negatively affect performance in certain situations.

Certainly worth a try.

Jan 21, 2021
can you run those 2 command in powershell and post here your results?

Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -DisplayName "Speed & Duplex" | fl DisplayName, DisplayValue, ValidDisplayValues,Name
Get-NetAdapterAdvancedProperty -DisplayName "Speed & Duplex" | Select -Expand ValidDisplayValues

wsafsfwasf.png

Jan 21, 2021
Agree with kerberos on getting the speed and duplex of the connection however you must have a 1Gb connection as you are already connecting at 250Mb so it must be a limitation on the machine itself.

I'd recommend you to right lick on your network connnection, select properties, configure and advanced you will get dozens of options appear that you can enable/disable or set to a specific value. What I want you to try is disabling anything referring to Green ethernet, power saving and anything mentioning offload e.g. ARP Offload or Checksum Offload. Make a note of any changes so you can reverse them but I've done numerous server builds and often found these features can negatively affect performance in certain situations.

Certainly worth a try.

I'm pretty sure I turned off all of these things but it still didn't fix itself. I also forgot to add in the post that it seems like the adapter is locked at 100Mbps download, the fastest speed I got was like 104Mbps, while with the onboard ethernet adapter just a couple of days ago i got ~250Mbps

Jan 21, 2021
I also forgot to add in the post that it seems like the adapter is locked at 100Mbps download, the fastest speed I got was like 104Mbps, while with the onboard ethernet adapter just a couple of days ago i got ~250Mbps

Just tried a different speed test and apparently I have ~330Mbps download, but that's still well below what it should be.

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
So you've seen the network connection on the laptop work fine so it's not the router or the ISP at fault. You've tried two different Gigabit cards so you know it's not a NIC related issue.

Last advice left really is move your PC temporarily to where the router is, plug it in via a 2-3m Cat5e cable. Ensure you get a 1Gb connection and run the test again. Just want to rule out an issue in your cable run between the PC and the router or a dodgy cable.

Always use the same speed test so you can compare your results fairly otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges. Personally I always use Speedtest.net and manually select the Xilo site in Maidenhead. YMMV but that's one of the better UK sites to test to.

Jan 21, 2021
So you've seen the network connection on the laptop work fine so it's not the router or the ISP at fault. You've tried two different Gigabit cards so you know it's not a NIC related issue.

Last advice left really is move your PC temporarily to where the router is, plug it in via a 2-3m Cat5e cable. Ensure you get a 1Gb connection and run the test again. Just want to rule out an issue in your cable run between the PC and the router or a dodgy cable.

Always use the same speed test so you can compare your results fairly otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges. Personally I always use Speedtest.net and manually select the Xilo site in Maidenhead. YMMV but that's one of the better UK sites to test to.

I can try doing that, but the thing is that I tried plugging in the laptop with the exact same cable as my PC is plugged in with and it had over 900Mbps download. I genuinely have no idea what's causing this, the router says I'm running 1Gb, the card says it's running on 1Gb, and the fastest download I had was 300Mb.

Wacabletech06

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I use an ethernet connection on my PC and for about 6 months now I've been on a 1Gb/s plan from my ISP, but the highest speed I could achieve on various speed tests was around 250Mb/s. I thought that maybe it was the ISP that didn't provide the speed we've been paying for, but since it's my dad who pays and takes care of everything, I didn't look further into it.

Two weeks ago however, my dad bought himself a decent laptop and he has around 500Mb/s download while on Wi-Fi. This made me curious if perhaps my ethernet cable / the onboard adapter was the issue the whole time. It turned out that when connected to the same cable as my PC, the laptop had around 900Mb/s download speed. The first thing that came to my mind was buying a PCI-E ethernet adapter, so I bought it and it arrived today. Unfortunately, after installing it together with the drivers, it turns out that it didn't help at all - the internet speeds are more or less the same. I checked the router settings (it was supplied by my ISP and it's called UPC Connect Box) and it says that my PC is running on a 1000Mbps connection, which clearly is not the case on my end. I also checked the adapter's properties in device manager and it also says that it's running on 1Gbps.

I don't really know what to do and what the issue is anymore. I tried disabling the onboard ethernet adapter in BIOS but as you can imagine it didn't help either.

My specs in case it matters:
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
ASUS A320M-K
Ryzen 1600x
16GB DDR4 3000MHz ram
GTX 960 2GB
TP-Link TG-3468

Most pcs are not designed to actually get 1Gbps this is why I carry a meter that runs a custom linux client to make the grade on testing connections. With windows the first thing is to try updating drivers, but NOT IN THE WINDOWS UPDATE! Use drivers from the chipset manufacturer for the of the networking devices [ie intel, broadcom, etc..], or if you bought a prefab computer then try that designer, ie Dell, levovo, etc.. Get any bios, and driver updates done first.

If all else fails run windows in safe mode [10 requires a few steps to get done you can google it] and see if that makes a difference, if so you have some software taking up too many resources, mabe an overly protective firewall, or virus scanner, maybe malware, who knows.

Jan 21, 2021
well your ethernet runs at full 1gbit
just a side note...that hamachi seems to be reason for slow internet speed (try google hamachi slow internet)
this should be resolved with command
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal
I uninstalled Hamachi and it hasn't changed anything, here's a screenshot of a speedtest I did just now.
asfasfas.png

I never install pc based vpn clients any more after I ended up having to reinstall windows to get one out. The vpn stuff seems to mess things up....more I think windows update changed something the vpn did not like.

The autotune level is a very common cause so if that does not fix it then a somewhat simple test would be to build a linux USB boot image. This will let you test without affecting your windows install. If this works then at least you know it is some strange setting deep in microsoft rather than some hardware issue. Windows is very frustrating so much crap that is not clearly documented, you eventually get to the point you just reinstall the OS.

Jan 21, 2021
ok, just in case u can run those commands aswell, its teh basic network reset stuff
netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

ipconfig /flushdns
then reboot

I ran all these commands and the previous one and it seems like it worked, still not as fast as it theoretically should be but I'm satisfied with the results anwyay. Thanks for the help :)