flo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002

I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try the
computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't know if I
have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.

Thanks for your time and effort.

Hi

Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party program?
Where are you trying to FTP to?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try the
| computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't know if
| have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.
|
| Thanks for your time and effort.

flo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002

Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you could
go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
I clicked on that and nothing happened.
Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that was
a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.

> Hi
>
> Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party program?
> Where are you trying to FTP to?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try
the
> | computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't know
if
> | have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.
> |
> | Thanks for your time and effort.

Hi

You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into Internet
Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission to
access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
install an FTP program - there is a free one here:

http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm

--

| Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you could
| go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
| ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
| I clicked on that and nothing happened.
| Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
was
| a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
|

| "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Hi
| >
| > Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party program?
| > Where are you trying to FTP to?
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
| > Please reply to the News Groups
| >

| > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | I would like to download things via the ftp server and whenever I try
| the
| > | computer does nothing. I have never used the ftp server and don't
know
| if
| > | have to download something or what. Could someone please advise.
| > |
| > | Thanks for your time and effort.
| > |
| > |

will and flo,

i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie. don't
know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access ftp
sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
using a browser.

--
Regards,
Dennis Lazo

the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
http://dennislazo.com/email/.
information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
rights.

> Hi
>
> You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
Internet
> Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission to
> access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
> program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
> install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
>
> http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you
could
> | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
> | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
> | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
> | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
> was
> | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
> |

> | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> | > Hi
> | >
> | > Are you trying to FTP via Internet Explorer or with a 3rd party
program?
> | > Where are you trying to FTP to?
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > Will Denny
> | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> | > Please reply to the News Groups
> | >

> | > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | the
> know
> | if
> | > |
> | > |
> | > |

Hi Dennis

I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I don't
why it wouldn't work earlier.

--

"DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
| will and flo,
|
| i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie. don't
| know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access
ftp
| sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
| using a browser.
|
| --
| Regards,
| Dennis Lazo
|
| the email address from where this message has been sent from is
unmonitored.
| your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
| http://dennislazo.com/email/.
| information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
| rights.
|

| "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Hi
| >
| > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
| Internet
| > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission
| > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
| > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
| > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
| >
| > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
| > Please reply to the News Groups
| >

| > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you
| could
| > | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
| > | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
..
| > | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
| > | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
| > was
| > | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

| program?

| try
| > | the
| > know
| > | if
| > | > |
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

flo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002

I just thought it would be 1 or 2 files in there. Wow!!!
I don't know what to do with all those files or even which one to look for.
I got there with the free download that Will Denny suggested and also went
in by copying and pasting into IE .
I clicked on Windiff.exe and a pop up screen tell me IE cannot download
WINDIFF.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. The connection with the server was
reset.

Help me please.

Tried again and a pop up screen comes up that says it was unable to load
because it was missing GUtils.dll.

> Hi Dennis
>
> I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I
don't
> why it wouldn't work earlier.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
> | will and flo,
> |
> | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie.
don't
> | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access
> ftp
> | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
> | using a browser.
> |
> | --
> | Regards,
> | Dennis Lazo
> |
> | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
> unmonitored.
> | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
> | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
> | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
> | rights.
> |

> | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
> | > Hi
> | >
> | > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
> | Internet
> | > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission
> | > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
> | > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like
> | > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
> | >
> | > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
> | >
> | > --
> | >
> | > Will Denny
> | > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> | > Please reply to the News Groups
> | >

> | > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> | could
> | > |
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
> .
> | > was
> | > |
> | > |

> | program?

> | try
> | > know
> | > | > |
> | > | > |
> | > | > |

> | > |
> | > |

Hi

I've just downloaded windiff.exe without any problems using IE. How did you
try & download it - right click>Copy to folder...?

--

| I just thought it would be 1 or 2 files in there. Wow!!!
| I don't know what to do with all those files or even which one to look
for.
| I got there with the free download that Will Denny suggested and also went
| in by copying and pasting into IE .
| I clicked on Windiff.exe and a pop up screen tell me IE cannot download
| WINDIFF.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. The connection with the server was
| reset.
|
| Help me please.
|
| Tried again and a pop up screen comes up that says it was unable to load
| because it was missing GUtils.dll.
|
| "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
| > Hi Dennis
| >
| > I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I
| don't
| > why it wouldn't work earlier.
| >
| > --
| >
| > Will Denny
| > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
| > Please reply to the News Groups
| >

| > "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
| > | will and flo,
| > |
| > | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie.
| don't
| > | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot
access
| > ftp
| > | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites
when
| > | using a browser.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Regards,
| > | Dennis Lazo
| > |
| > | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
| > unmonitored.
| > | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
| > | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
| > | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers
no
| > | rights.
| > |
| > |
| > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

| > | Internet
FTP

| > | could
| ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
| > .
| that
| > | > |
| > | > |

| > | program?

| > | try
| don't
| advise.
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |
| > | > | > |

| > | > |
| > | > |

| > |
| > |

Works for me, though I can no longer access the parent directory.

http://home.comcast.net/~wizardofwhimsy/index.html
"DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message news:%23MI4Y%239SEHA.3768@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> will and flo,
>
> i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie. don't
> know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access ftp
> sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
> using a browser.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Dennis Lazo
>
> the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
> your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
> http://dennislazo.com/email/.
> information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
> rights.

> > Hi
> >
> > You're right - the link doesn't work. I tried a Copy & Paste into
> Internet
> > Explorer, but then got an error message to say I hadn't got permission to
> > access that site. I could however access it by using a 3rd party FTP
> > program. I don't know why access was denied via IE, but you may like to
> > install an FTP program - there is a free one here:
> >
> > http://www.internet-soft.com/ftpcomm.htm
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > | Alright, I went to the photo newsgroup and there was a site that you
> could
> > | go to and see if you have duplicate photo's. The site was
> > | ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/ .
> > | I clicked on that and nothing happened.
> > | Is that what you wanted to know??? Please help. I did not think that
> > was
> > | a photo newsgroup issue. Thanks for your time.
> > |

> > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

> program?

> try
> > | the
> > know
> > | if
> > | > |
> > | > |
> > | > |

You have to download gutils as well. Maybe you also want the help file windiff.hlp. These files are also on the the Windows 98 CDRom at CD\tools\reskit\file.

"flo" <justmeflo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eN8jod%23SEHA.1368@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> I just thought it would be 1 or 2 files in there. Wow!!!
> I don't know what to do with all those files or even which one to look for.
> I got there with the free download that Will Denny suggested and also went
> in by copying and pasting into IE .
> I clicked on Windiff.exe and a pop up screen tell me IE cannot download
> WINDIFF.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. The connection with the server was
> reset.
>
> Help me please.
>
> Tried again and a pop up screen comes up that says it was unable to load
> because it was missing GUtils.dll.

> > Hi Dennis
> >
> > I've just managed to get through by clicking on the link using IE. I
> don't
> > why it wouldn't work earlier.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Will Denny
> > MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please reply to the News Groups
> >

> > "DennisLazo.com" <email@dennislazo.com> wrote in message
> > | will and flo,
> > |
> > | i was able to open the link and it does work from my end using ie.
> don't
> > | know it doesn't work with you. however, at the office, i cannot access
> > ftp
> > | sites where i can usually at home. must be isp blocking ftp sites when
> > | using a browser.
> > |
> > | --
> > | Regards,
> > | Dennis Lazo
> > |
> > | the email address from where this message has been sent from is
> > unmonitored.
> > | your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
> > | http://dennislazo.com/email/.
> > | information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
> > | rights.
> > |

> > | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

> > | Internet

> > | could
> > | > |
> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/services/technet/samples/ps/win98/reskit/FILE/
> > .
> that
> > | > |
> > | > |

> > | program?

> > | try
> don't
> advise.
> > | > | > |
> > | > | > |
> > | > | > |

> > | > |
> > | > |

flo

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2002

I don't have a windows 98 CDRom. I am using windows xp. Maybe I should just
forget the whole thing.