Problem with Gigabit Ethernet

marlonmrn

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017
Hello, i'm gettin a little crazy here, pls help me outt :pt1cable:

I've my main Pc, with a asus h110m-c/br motherboard, ethernet port supports gigabit ethernet, ok.

I'm using a modem/router provided by the network company. askey rtf3505vw-n2

My desktop was getting a gigantic bufferbloat in dslreports's upload phase..
So I noticed that my desktop was getting only 100mpbs connection, while my notebook was at 200 in 5g wifi.

hmm, weirdo. Figured out that my adapter speed was on 100mpbs, I was unable to change it.
I'm using a cheap cat 5e cable, with 5 meters from router to desktop.

Disconnected my ethernet cable from desktop and pluged in my notebook, getting 1gbps connection... hmmm

all my drivers are updated, windows fresh installer, tried without any drivers at all(fresh install windows), with the asus site, with the newest I could find.. and nothing seems to fix it.
I've tested my desktop with a ubuntu's liveUsb, if I could remember well, I was getting gigabit speed(but now I dont, even with ubuntu on desktop)

Is it possible that the EXACT same cable, while connected to my notebook detect a gigabit connection and when connected to my desktop detect only 100mpbs?? Is there another possible reason??

I just installed realtek ethernet diagnostic utility;
At the green ethernet option:
-Green feature status: ENABLE (impossible to turn it off)
-Saved (a full green bar) 5%
a line with 3 stages (disabled , stage1 and stage2) have a marker on stage 1
EST. Power in Normal case Giga 344 mW
100M 143mW
????? w*f does that even mean?
--- in the cable option
when I click it, immeadiatly the network goes down and back a little after,
shows
Link Speed: 100
pair length(m) Status
1-2 0 normal
3-6 0 normal
4-5 0 normal
7-8 0 normal

If i click in the refresh button, the same thing happens.

If i'm not mistaken, a while ago I was getting 2 at the length;
I've messed a lot in the meantime with the adapter properties, trying to fix it. Unluckly

aaaaaa i'm going to explode

Is it possible that my notebook connects to 1gbps by mistake and my router dont support it?

Solution
There are not a of things you can do. In most cases like this it is a bad cable. Some machines are more tolerant of a bad cable than others. It can be a little bit of corrosion or a slightly loose wire connections in the rj45 crimp. It tends to be simplest to just buy another cable to try.

If it still does it with a different cable then you start to look at a damaged port which you could only replace by using a add in card so you hope it is not that. As mentioned verifying the drivers and the settings but the vast majority of the speed negotiation is done by very low level hardware so it tends not to be affected much by the software drivers.
Yes, the cable thing is possible. It points more towards the NIC in your PC.
Pretty much everything now fixes the straight cable vs crossover. There is a small chance it's a crossover and it's not fixing it for you.

Make sure your pc has auto for duplex. If it's forced to half or it's only a 100Mbs NIC that's the issue.
Make sure to update the drives for it.

There are not a of things you can do. In most cases like this it is a bad cable. Some machines are more tolerant of a bad cable than others. It can be a little bit of corrosion or a slightly loose wire connections in the rj45 crimp. It tends to be simplest to just buy another cable to try.

If it still does it with a different cable then you start to look at a damaged port which you could only replace by using a add in card so you hope it is not that. As mentioned verifying the drivers and the settings but the vast majority of the speed negotiation is done by very low level hardware so it tends not to be affected much by the software drivers.

Solution

marlonmrn

Prominent
Oct 20, 2017

It was the cable indeed;
Beside it was delivering 1gbps to my notebook, after I replaced it with a new one (5e too), solved the problem.