Question Problem with Gigabyte RX580 when gaming ?

Jun 6, 2022
I have a gigabyte rx580 4gb graphics card.
The card works fine with video playback, YouTube, movies, day to day tasks etc but the moment I play a game. The card reaches 73degrees and then its says no signal on my monitor and the fans crank up to maximum speed and stays there. However I still hear the game working normally on my headphones. Just no display and the fans go to 100%. I tried uninstalling the driver completely and re installing it. The card worked fine but the next day the problem persisted. If I leave pc for 10 minutes off and go back, the pc starts normal, I get display and all is well. Problem only happens when I run a game or heaven benchmark. After a few minutes. The problem comes again.
I have an i5 3470
700watt psu with 600watts on the 12v rail (4 months old)
Intel motherboard with 16gb ram operating on stock 1600mhz.
The card has no artifacts or irregular images when working and when playing a game, frames are absolutely normal until the problem.
Could it be a corrupted bios or something else?
Thanks for the helps

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

700W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Please mention the make and model of both the PSU's you'd used to troubleshoot your system.

As for your specs, please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing?

Jun 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

700W is the advertised wattage of the unit. Please mention the make and model of both the PSU's you'd used to troubleshoot your system.

As for your specs, please list them like so:
CPU: i5- 3470
Motherboard: intel DQ77MK
Ram: 16GB 1600MHZ Crucial ram
SSD/HDD: western digital green 120gb and a 1tb western digital blue
GPU: gigabyte rx580 4gb
PSU: antec 700watt psu 80 plus
Chassis: raidmax F03

BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? I'm not sure on the bios version

DSzymborski

Titan
I hope it didn't die on me. What a mess it is to get a graphics card now. Prices are crazy

If you're using a "700W" PSU that only has 600W of +12V power, then it's not surprising because no non-junk PSU would have this power distribution. It's the power distribution of a cheaply-made group-regulated PSU that was designed for the Pentium III era, not modern PCIE-era equipment. Junk PSUs have a high likelihood of destroying things running on them, sooner or later.

Jun 6, 2022
If you're using a "700W" PSU that only has 600W of +12V power, then it's not surprising because no non-junk PSU would have this power distribution. It's the power distribution of a cheaply-made group-regulated PSU that was designed for the Pentium III era, not modern PCIE-era equipment. Junk PSUs have a high likelihood of destroying things running on them, sooner or later.
So you think the card is giving me problems because of the psu?

DSzymborski

Titan
So you think the card is giving me problems because of the psu?

Maybe. The PSU could have destroyed it. Or the PSU is crashing at load (a high load would also mean high temperatures, it doesn't necessarily mean the high temperatures are causing crash other than the high load).

It would be helpful, again, if you actually identified this PSU. The more horrifying it is, the more likely it is to be either directly or indirectly causing your problems.

Jun 6, 2022
Maybe. The PSU could have destroyed it. Or the PSU is crashing at load (a high load would also mean high temperatures, it doesn't necessarily mean the high temperatures are causing crash other than the high load).

It would be helpful, again, if you actually identified this PSU. The more horrifying it is, the more likely it is to be either directly or indirectly causing your problems.
It's an Antec VP700 80 plus rating. Non modular.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yikes, that should not have been used with a GPU needing supplementary power. Definitely an obsolete PSU. God only knows what the voltage regulation was with the crossload.

I'd test the GPU in someone else's PC (or a store if you don't have anyone nearby) and in the meantime, replace that with something competent.

The list is no longer updated, but Tier A or Tier B for this GPU would be useful.

(For the record, this would have been a Tier D, "Only for Cheap/iGPU systems" which I concur with)

Jun 6, 2022
Yikes, that should not have been used with a GPU needing supplementary power. Definitely an obsolete PSU. God only knows what the voltage regulation was with the crossload.

I'd test the GPU in someone else's PC (or a store if you don't have anyone nearby) and in the meantime, replace that with something competent.

The list is no longer updated, but Tier A or Tier B for this GPU would be useful.

(For the record, this would have been a Tier D, "Only for Cheap/iGPU systems" which I concur with)
Thanks for the help. Thankfully the card didn't die as yet... it still comes on and works perfectly with no load. So I'll get another PSU. I live in South Africa so I'll have to go through that list and check what's available here.
I'd appreciate it if you cab narrow down the list to something of good price to quality ratio? So I can check up whats available.

DSzymborski

Titan
Generally, Corsair CX ones (modern ones, not decade-old ones with green labels) are the least expensive or nearly least expensive competent budget PSU. Now, if you plan to upgrade to a 3080 or something at some point, I would get something different, like a top-tier Corsair RMx or SeaSonic Prime or Super Flower Leadex III, but a Corsair CX is perfectly fine for an RX 480.