Question Problem with HP Zbook 15 hotkeys

Oct 14, 2022
Here's what's wrong
1.The fn+F8 hotkey for mic mute and fn+F9/fn+F10 (screen brightness down/up) don't work, every other fn+F hotkey works from what I can tell (sleep, volume down/up etc.)
(Screen brightness can be adjusted, just not trough the hotkeys, same with audio toggle)
2.The colored status LED on the audio out toggle button. (Button function works, but unlike the wifi toggle, the LED doesn't toggle between white/orange depending on the state)
(I would really like to get issue 1 solved, but issue 2 would be nice to fix but not critical)

The short version of the story how I ended up here

I bought a used laptop. Seller had made a clean install with all drivers (from what I could tell) and some basic software (open office etc.), but since I don't trust people I went ahead and formatted the storage and
re-installed windows with the same key that was used on the laptop already. Before formatting I remember noticing the variety of hotkeys and being "wow:ed" by them prompting me to push all the buttons like a kid
to test everything out and from what I could tell, all the hotkeys worked perfectly, including the colored state lights for the audio and wifi toggle.

Here's a quick explanation of all the things I've tried to do fix these issues so far.
I installed most of the drivers found on the hp website for my model of laptop. (I skipped installing the webcam driver, fingerprint scanner and some drivers for the weird storage slots that I've never seen)
(Drivers for my laptop can be found here -> https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-zbook-15-mobile-workstation/5387800)

I tried running hp's automated tool found on the driver page to detect missing drivers, but it just came up with the same list of drivers as what I see on the website.

Checked Device manager for the keyboard driver that was installed. (Windows installed "Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard for HP Hotkey Support" automatically)

I've tried running the "HP Image Assistant" and it told me that my laptop/windows version wasn't supported by it.

I looked on google for people having similiar issues (there are a lot of them) and ended up finding out that for a lot of people installing "Hp hotkey support" driver fixed things.
Got my hands on "Hp hotkey support" driver which was said to work on a lot of HP laptops, no change after installing it and rebooting.
(here's the link to the Hp hotkey support driver https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp98501-99000/sp98968.exe)

Looked in services for "Human Interface Device Service" which was not running, but after manually starting it and setting it to automatically start.

I've also tried contacting the seller to try ask them to provide me with a link or something so I could get the drivers, but they haven't responded to me after a month of waiting.

Extra information
I have a partition on the ssd that I use for linux mint, which has no problems with these hotkeys and also didn't require any setup from my end. (issues on windows side existed before the partition was made)
The wifi toggle had a specific driver for it ("HP Wireless Button Driver"), but none for the audio out toggle and the light on the wifi toggle works correctly. White for on/orange for off.

My hardware specs
Hp Zbook 15 G1 running Windows 10-pro 64-bit (21H2)
Intel I-7-4800MQ (With Intel HD Graphics 4600 enabled), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia Quaddro K2100M, 256GB SSD

I apologize for any typos or anything I forgot to mention and I hope someone can help me figure this out, because I'd rather not have to spend money calling HP for support.
Thanks to anyone willing to help in advance <3

There used to be a couple of 'sofpaq' files listed under Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices, but it appears HP removed them from their website. Those removed 'sofpaq' had the drivers for the system 'Hotkeys'

By the way you could use the Action Center (Windows + A) to change the brightness. There is a brightness slider at the bottom of the window.

If you haven't yet, try updating to the latest BIOS.

Oct 14, 2022
There used to be a couple of 'sofpaq' files listed under Driver-Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices, but it appears HP removed them from their website. Those removed 'sofpaq' had the drivers for the system 'Hotkeys'

By the way you could use the Action Center (Windows + A) to change the brightness. There is a brightness slider at the bottom of the window.

If you haven't yet, try updating to the latest BIOS.

I wasn't worried about the bios version since I hadn't touched it after receiving the laptop with the hotkeys in a working state, but now that I checked the BIOS it has a "Rollback update" marked as "IMPORTANT" and applying it would "update" the BIOS from 01.45 (04/17/2019) to 01.44 (08/08/2018)
I'm using ethernet to check for updates from HP.com inside the BIOS which shows me the rollback update, but I also took a look at hp's website where I got the drivers from and they're providing BIOS update version 01.47 (05/08/2020)
I'm guessing I should go with the 01.47 version, right?