Question Problem with laptop that I received from work

mrallanson

Honorable
Apr 6, 2018
I received a laptop from my workplace and made it a personal laptop. The issue is that the laptop is still trying to access the company's domain server, which causes the computer to show a message to activate Windows from time to time. I have to bring the laptop to work and connect it and then the Windows message goes away. How do I stop the laptop from trying to access the company's domain server?

USAFRet

Titan
I received a laptop from my workplace and made it a personal laptop. The issue is that the laptop is still trying to access the company's domain server, which causes the computer to show a message to activate Windows from time to time. I have to bring the laptop to work and connect it and then the Windows message goes away. How do I stop the laptop from trying to access the company's domain server?
The IT people at your company are fools for letting it out of their posession with their OS and data still on it.

It needs a full wipe and reinstall.
This means that YOU will have to puchase your own OS for it. You can't continue to use the companys assets.

Wolfshadw

Titan
The issue is the Windows license associated with the OS installed on your laptop is an Enterprise version; typically used in corporate settings. This version has to validate with the home server every so often in order to ensure it's validity. As mentioned above, you will need to wipe it clean and perform a fresh install of Windows (Home or Professional).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran