[SOLVED] Problem with M2.2 Slot on ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus ?

dereckbc

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Got a surprise when I went to install my SSD M2.2 drive on the MB. While waiting for delivery did my homework on which slot to plug SSD into. All roads led to slot M2.2_1 closest to CPU. Received all the bits and pieces today and found it is impossible to install the SSD in slot 1 with hardware supplied.

Upon installation, I find the Heat Sink installed on slot 2 and thought no problem; just move the hardware to slot 1 right? Wrong! You cannot remove the heat-sink stand-offs. Even if you could, would only be able to use one of them near the shield away from the header connector. The one at the header end is a rivet hole for an MB screw. Even if you had a stand-off for the header end, you cannot use the shield because of clearance issues with the PCU fan shroud. It has to be custom made like slot 2.

Did ASUS forget to supply hardware for slot 1, or is that just the way they do it? It will require a heat sink made specifically for the MB or a hack saw to cut a corner off so it would fit. Have not looked but I assume only ASUS would have them?