[SOLVED] Problem with my dual monitor setup R9 390X

Feb 20, 2020
Hello, I have a problem. I have two old analog monitors. When I have only one connect it through the DVI-D everything work great. But when I connect the second monitor through the DVI-D or HDMI both monitors after a few seconds start flickering. When I connect it to the DP both works great too, but I can't connect it to the DP because I'm using DP for my oculus. Where do you think there will be a problem?

CPU: FX-8350
GPU: R9 390X

Solution
I don't think there is a problem with adapters. Adapters worked well on my old graphic card. Can be a problem that graphic card can't have two adapters connected at the same time? I can connect my TV with one HDMI cable without adapters and I don't have a problem.

The 390X is rated to be able to output up to 4 native signals at once, and with active adapters it should work. But I guess your card might not be sending the proper signals, perhaps it's sending legacy signals when you have the DVI/HDMI adapter in along with the other DVI. Perhaps it's the monitor themselves not requesting the proper signals since you said it works with your TV.

Try fiddling with your cards drivers if you can, or update the VBIOS if you're tech...
Feb 20, 2020
What model 390X do you have? If you can't use 2 DVI's at the same time then it sounds like your card may have an issue with legacy monitors. You can possibly try DVI or HDMI to DP converter so you can plug into the DP port on the monitor.
MSI Radeon R9 390X
I have monitors only with VGA inputs and for my main monitor i'm using VGA to DVI-D converter, this works great. And with my second monitor I try VGA to DVI-D converter and VGA to HDMI converter. On both converters monitors start flickering. Also I have VGA to DP converters and that's work great. But I can't use it, I need empty DP port.

MSI Radeon R9 390X
I have monitors only with VGA inputs and for my main monitor i'm using VGA to DVI-D converter, this works great. And with my second monitor I try VGA to DVI-D converter and VGA to HDMI converter. On both converters monitors start flickering. Also I have VGA to DP converters and that's work great. But I can't use it, I need empty DP port.

What type of adapter is it, is it a passive adapter? The 390X is said to support up to 2 passive connections but if that doesn't work then try using an active adapter since I assume your DP adapter is an active adapter and since that works it might work if you try it on the HDMI or DVI.

Feb 20, 2020
What type of adapter is it, is it a passive adapter? The 390X is said to support up to 2 passive connections but if that doesn't work then try using an active adapter since I assume your DP adapter is an active adapter and since that works it might work if you try it on the HDMI or DVI.
I'm using active adapters.

Feb 20, 2020
I'm not sure if that's what causing the issue but perhaps the analog signal your active adapters are sending to the monitors aren't in sync with each other. What are the monitors model number and how old are they?
Main monitor is BenQ E2200HD year: 2009
second is BenQ G2020HD year: 2009

They all look fine to me; they support VGA analog conversion. I guess the converters themselves are not functioning as they should, they are pretty cheap for your average active adapters. Either that or your GPU is not outputting the data properly when you configure your setup to DVI-D & DVI-D/HDMI. Perhaps buy another adapter, one that has a 30 day return policy from a name-brand company like startech and try it out again.

Feb 20, 2020
They all look fine to me; they support VGA analog conversion. I guess the converters themselves are not functioning as they should, they are pretty cheap for your average active adapters. Either that or your GPU is not outputting the data properly when you configure your setup to DVI-D & DVI-D/HDMI. Perhaps buy another adapter, one that has a 30 day return policy from a name-brand company like startech and try it out again.
I don't think there is a problem with adapters. Adapters worked well on my old graphic card. Can be a problem that graphic card can't have two adapters connected at the same time? I can connect my TV with one HDMI cable without adapters and I don't have a problem.

The 390X is rated to be able to output up to 4 native signals at once, and with active adapters it should work. But I guess your card might not be sending the proper signals, perhaps it's sending legacy signals when you have the DVI/HDMI adapter in along with the other DVI. Perhaps it's the monitor themselves not requesting the proper signals since you said it works with your TV.

Try fiddling with your cards drivers if you can, or update the VBIOS if you're tech savvy enough to - though you could risk bricking a card doing this.

Solution
Feb 20, 2020

Try fiddling with your cards drivers if you can, or update the VBIOS if you're tech savvy enough to - though you could risk bricking a card doing this.
Well, it seems it is working now. The old graphics card driver causes the problem. I update it now and no flickering problem. I tried it before(about a month ago, when I first have a problem), but it didn't help. Probably they fix it in the latest updates.

Thanks for the help I appreciate that.

Reactions: Newtonius