Question Problem with my SSD

Apr 14, 2020
Hi! I need help with my SSD. I buy +3 months ago the "Crucial BX500 240GB" SSD for my 4 years old PC. The first month if I'm not wrong works normally. Then one day I notice that instead of boot windows in 10-30 seconds, took minutes since pressing the power button (I timed it and took 2 minutes 54 seconds today). After this, when I try to do ANYTHING like second click a folder, It freezes and took seconds to pop up that action. Sometimes this action works fine and fast, but sometimes it freezes again and took seconds.

Why is this happening? I do many things that I found searching on Google, like disable defragmentation of disks (never do one), modify Windows registry and I don't remember what else because I do this 1 month ago and give up, but now I think it is bothering more because it seems is related to my recording "Gameplays" problem (don't know if is related), because the game works at 60 FPS really good, goods CPU/GPU temps and loads, but the recording have stuttering. This never happen when I have my old HDD as primary. My humble PC specs:

MoBo: Asus B85M-G R2.0
RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB 1600mhz in dual-channel
CPU: Intel i5 4590 3.30 GHz
GPU: AMD RX 570 Series (4GB VRAM)
SSD: Crucial BX500 240GB [Primary disk with OS only and essential programs]
HDD: WD 1TB Blue [Secondary disk for storage all, was my primary disk before the SSD]

Here a picture of Hard Disk Sentinel saying it's "all fine". The temp of SSD says 51°C but because it was still loading. Actually says 37°C.
6Py156a.png

Apr 14, 2020
51C is kind of hot, your SSD could be thermal-throttling.

It was after restart my PC, so it was still loading some programs. After that the temp goes down quickly. Normally it have 37°C atleast in idle. Edit: Playing a game it says 42-47°C depending on what demanding it is.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020
Another thing to say. I read somewhere that after "try everything" the final solution was change from the recommended AHCI mode to the old IDE, a few people says "it works" but I don't know what can be the consequences of doing this. It's safe to try to boot in IDE mode to see if change anything?

InvalidError

Titan
The last time I installed Windows on my PC, I thought my BIOS was set to AHCI but it was actually on IDE. When I tried booting after toggling that, Windows crashed while loading because it couldn't find the boot device once storage drivers got loaded. Booting in safe-mode allowed Windows to finish booting and resolve the mixed-up storage drivers issue.

You should be able to switch between the two, just be aware that you may need safe-mode to fix it.

Reactions: NGXIS
Apr 14, 2020
The last time I installed Windows on my PC, I thought my BIOS was set to AHCI but it was actually on IDE. When I tried booting after toggling that, Windows crashed while loading because it couldn't find the boot device once storage drivers got loaded. Booting in safe-mode allowed Windows to finish booting and resolve the mixed-up storage drivers issue.

You should be able to switch between the two, just be aware that you may need safe-mode to fix it.

Thanks for answer. I keep searching and yes, it seems that will happen, so don't know if that's the best solution. Another thing I read is to use a driver from Intel instead of MS drivers for my SSD, but neither the windows update, device manager or intel official page says there is any driver available for my SSD, so I have the drivers from Microsoft. So how can I truly check if there is any driver available for my SSD? Because I don't understand what I need to install: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/35125/Memory-and-Storage

I'll try anyway with "Intel® Solid State Drive Toolbox"

Apr 14, 2020
There are no drivers for SSDs. AHCI vs IDE mode is how the OS talks to the chipset's SATA controllers with AHCI being the modern method for OSes that support it and IDE being provided for backwards compatibility with non-AHCI OSes.

It seems I confuse that part then. I still can't reach the problem. I'll keep looking. It doesn't seems to have an SSD physical problem, but something is causing this random freezes and slow startup. I will do more different test tomorrow, if know about anything I can try just to discard, It will help, if not, doesn't matter, any answer is appreciated.

Apr 14, 2020
An update, I try more things like checking bios, change again SATA port and cable and nothing. I'll try one more time doing a clean installation of Windows 10 on the SSD but before update it, I'll check if it works "fast like a normal SSD". Maybe in that way I can make a conclusion of what happen, if not, I'll take it to the store where I bought this SSD, I will give up. It's a shame.

Apr 14, 2020
Update: I give up. I take the SSD to the store and they will send it for warranty. It will take months maybe. My PC? Is working perfectly with the HDD only. So that's my conclusion, a faulty SSD that broke in 1-2 months more or less of use and the benchmarks programs CAN'T reveal that was broken. So for any other people having this problem, don't mind to try to fix it and have headaches like me, just change it or use it as a expensive football ballon.

Thread can be closed. Thanks for the space!