Question Problem with Neo G8 Odyssey 4k monitor, not sure how to troubleshoot further

May 6, 2024
System specs:
Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 ACE
CPU: AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X (no overclock)

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX™ 3090 XC3 (no overclock). Connected to monitor via HDMI. Using latest drivers (v552.22 released 4/16/24).

RAM: G.SKILL 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200MHz, CL14
PSU: CORSAIR RM1000x
HDs:
2 x WESTERN DIGITAL 2TB Black SN850 2280 SSDs in Raid 0 (Games drive)
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB Black SN850 2280 (Windows install drive)

I have an Acer B286HK (4k at 30hz) which seems to work fine with all games.

I got a Samsung Neo G8 (running 4k at 240hz) in November 2023 and it was working fine for the most part but with one specific game (Riftwizard 2) in fullscreen mode on 4k hardlocked my computer when the game first starts up: black screen, music keeps playing, keyboard locked (can't toggle numlock), only way to resolve was to reboot. That same game works fine in fullscreen mode if I switch the resolution to 1080p or use the Acer monitor (on 4k).

However I recently got another game (Mess Effect Legendary edition, starts fine but when I select to start Mass Effect 1 as soon as that starts to load I get the same hardlock. Except after a reboot I was getting No Signal on the Neo G8 and the keyboard would work at first (can toggle numlock), but keyboard would then hard lock a short time after reboot (before system finishes booting, can no longer toggle numlock/etc). Switching over to the Acer B286HK the system boots fine and the game works fine loading with no issues at 4k.

I couldn't get the system to boot at all anymore with the Neo G8--kept getting No Signal. I swapped in the Acer monitor and saw it worked fine, when I swapped back I tried HDMI port 2 of the Neo G8 (had been using port 1 up to now) and finally managed to get it to boot, but it was in a weird mode stuck on 120 hz and 800x600. I got it back to normal by swapping to 240hz in Windows display settings, but then hardlocked it on Riftwizard 2 again (wanted to test if it worked now on HDMI port 2), and now I can't get the Neo G8 to work on boot with either port. I either get a screen flashing different solid colors (white, red, green IIRC), or the No Signal.

The G8 still works with no cable connected--the buttons bring up the menu/self test looks fine, etc. But when I connect the HDMI cable and try to boot I still get the flashing colors or No Signal.

I tried booting with the Acer and then moving the HDMI cable over to the G8 -- this also results in hardlock (keyboard stops working, etc). I tested and I am able to unplug the HDMI cable and then re-plug into the Acer and that works just fine.

If I factory reset the G8 I can boot windows. The G8 shows game mode with gsync enabled and 120hz refresh rate. Windows shows 800x600 with 60hz refresh rate, allows swap only to 1024x768@60hz. If I try anything else (the menu does show resolutions up to 4k in windows display settings or in nvidia control panel), it lets me select higher resolutions but doesn't actually set them. The screen flickers and the Keep Changes or Revert button shows, but the resolution/refresh rate doesn't actually change and if I hit Keep Changes the dropdown menu refreshes to show that it is back at the old resoultion.

If I use the G8 menu to change to 240hz, it sometimes works (and goes back to 4k resolution), but then on a reboot always hardlocks the computer again (keyboard numlock won't toggle, monitor flashes red/white/green or shows No Signal). Other times if I swap it to 240hz while windows is running it will lock up in the same way.

The Acer monitor works fine (though its a 30hz 4k display, so not really comparable...)

Does anyone know what I can do to troubleshoot this further? I tried contacting Samsung about the G8 and they ran through a bunch of basic stuff and made sure the firmware was updated/graphics drivers latest version/factory reset the monitor/etc, but the issue persists.

May 6, 2024
Hmm I got out an older computer of mine that was gathering dust and it is able to get into windows with this monitor just fine (2x nvidia GTX 780 in SLI, 2560x1600).

I have been playing games on 4k @ 30hz on my old monitor with no issues, while now I can't even get the G8 to boot windows after a factory reset on the G8.

But the G8 seems fine displaying boot screens and its own menus/own self test are all fine. So maybe it is a graphics card issue?

I tried both Microsoft's monitor driver from 2006 & Samsung's from 2022, tried reinstalling the graphics drivers from scratch.

Does anyone know anything I can try before I ship this monitor off to Samsung for repair? I suppose I can just do that and if they send it back saying nothing is wrong with it, buy a new graphics card...

Last edited: