Problem with new router (Archer VR 400 v2)

jimathanas00

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
So 2 days ago i purchased a new router, after i set it it up and i did a speed test, apparently, i got exactly 5Mbps on every device (with old modem/router i got 5.5-6 Mbps but i changed because it was very unstable), and i said that weird so i reset it it, and then factory reset it, then contacted support which didn't help me at all, contacted my isp. I even enabled Qos which basically doesn't even work, changed channels etc. I don't know what should i do, the support cant fix it because as they said the never heard of a problem like that, i saved money for a long time for this new modem/router and i don't want it to just not work properly. What do you guys think is the problem. Also the serial number can not be found in the website.

Solution
With all devices being impacted I would look beyond your router.

Run tracert and pathping. May find some bottleneck.

However bottlenecks are not particularly consistent - however, something may turn up.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have the User Guide?

E.g.: https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/Archer_VR400(EU)_V1_UG.pdf

Note, may not be the specific guide for your location/area.)

Read the Guide but do not do anything until having read through it all.

Then check the connectivity per the diagram on Page 7. Be sure to verify that the DSL connections are as they should be. You might also have a bad splitter.

Focus on getting only one network device connected and working. Then use what you have learned to connect other devices.

Be sure to use known working cables and connections.

The overall idea is to get connected as expected or identify some specific problem to address. Maybe a firmware upgrade.....

jimathanas00

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
first of all the connections are as they should be, the splitter is the one that came with it, ive tested each device individually, made sure all the cables are working properly and have the latest update on firmware. As i said before there is a problem with the router since i get more mbps with the old one so there cant be anything else, i just want to find out what it is

Ralston18

Titan
Do you still have, if applicable, the old/original splitter? Included splitter may be faulty.....

Try other known working cables.

Look at the router's System logs per Page 92 of the manual.

Overall, new router could simply be slower as it is working correctly and handling corrupted packets accordingly. Versus the old router being "faster" but causing instabilities as a result.

As for the serial number not being on the website - maybe you need to register the router first. Has that been done?

jimathanas00

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
This is not the case, apparently when i go to 192.168.1.1, and i check the status the max download rate is on 6.3 and the current is about 6 Mbps so it has to be something else

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure that I am following correctly:

The old modem router was 5.5 - 6.0 Mbps (unstable). The new router is currently getting 6.0 Mbps (stable). Correct?

Remember that max rates are often "established" under very ideal test circumstances.

Take all devices but one off of the network. Run several speed tests. Then add devices one by one with speed tests each time. Perhaps one device is bottlenecking the network. Keep notes, run speed tests at different times, change the order in which devices rejoin the network.

jimathanas00

Prominent
Nov 11, 2017
24 adsl line but i get about 6-6.5 on my location. As i said before thats not the case. With my old router i used to get those speeds but it was unstable, now with the new one on the interface it says that i have these speeds as well but for some reason there is some kind of limitation on every device(and yes Qos is disabled)