Question Problem WITH new SSD and Windows 10

Tunk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the right category, I'm sorry if it's not.

My case it's a little strange, I think:

About a month ago I started having some issues with my pc, which up until then was working perfectly, if a little slower than before. The issue was, and still is, weird: all of a sudden at random moments the system behaves as if I were pressing the CTRL key, thus believing that instead of typing I'm accessing keyboard shortcuts (I. E. If I type "P" to write something, it acts as if I wanted to print something (CTRL+P). Not only that, from time to time the "x" key gets "stuck", thus filling all typing to "xxxxxxxx".

Feeling that it'd been a while since a clean up, I did it and the problem continued. So I decided to do a much anticipated upgrade and buy myself an SSD I chose the SAMSUNG 870 QVO SATA 2.5" 2 Tb.

I figured if I just reinstall Windows, back up all my data in the old HDD then I can reinstall all my programs and start from scratch. I'd done this in the past without a hassle. So I get the SSD, I formated it to NTFS, install windows and up until the last reboot, everything is going smoothly and according to plan. But right in the middle of setting up windows, (language, region, keyboard layout, Microsoft account, PC name, etc), it blacks out and the screen goes black, the only thing that I can see is the black background with the mouse cursor moving.

I reinstalled 2 more times with the same result.

At this point I decided to use Samsung's Magician software to clone the old HDD into the SSD. And it worked!! I was able to boot my pc and all my files and programs were there, albeit with the same annoying CTRL glitch, (which I realize it's normal since everything was cloned).

I tried reinstalling Windows 10 in the SSD while operating from it and once again I got the black screen of death and despair.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance guys.

As you can see in the component list below, it's an old rig:

Motherboard - ASUS P8Z77-V Pro Loo LGA 1155
Processor - I5-3470
Cooling- Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
GPU 2 - ASUS Nvidia GeForce GT 610
RAM - 2 x Kingston KVR 4Gb 1333 Mhz
Mouse - Logitech G700s
Keyboard - Advance Pro-K2 Gamer Monitor - Acer G236HL 23"
Sound - Logitech Speakers Z170
HDD - 1 x Toshiba SATA III 6 Gb/s - 2 Tb Tower - Gamer Advance Darkside
PSU - Cooler Master G500

Tunk

Last edited:

Tunk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Hello,

You are right, I forgot to mention that. Yes I have tried three different keyboards with the same result. In fact, even with no keyboard connected the CTRL key acts as if stuck.

****UPDATE*****

I tried to do it the other way around. I figured that since cloning the HDD got the SSD "working" I could reinstall Windows in the HDD and then clone it into the SSD and nothing. Same result, Windows stucks in the setting up phase

all of a sudden at random moments the system behaves as if I were pressing the CTRL key, thus believing that instead of typing I'm accessing keyboard shortcuts (I. E. If I type "P" to write something, it acts as if I wanted to print something (CTRL+P). Not only that, from time to time the "x" key gets "stuck", thus filling all typing to "xxxxxxxx".
Do you have any keyboard or mouse software installed?
Multimedia keys on keyboard probably require some software.
Try uninstalling it.

Also check your pc for malware. Could be some keyloger operating in background.
Use Malwarebytes anti-malware.

Reactions: rickypicky5

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah. Stuff backed up on your hdd / reinstalling could be repassing infection. With your stuff backed up on this hdd, do a scan anyway, and fresh Windows install again without the hdd connected and don't install anything afterwards. See if same thing happens then.

Tunk

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2012
Yeah. Stuff backed up on your hdd / reinstalling could be repassing infection. With your stuff backed up on this hdd, do a scan anyway, and fresh Windows install again without the hdd connected and don't install anything afterwards. See if same thing happens then.
Will do, thanks.

Just for the record, all installations were done with just the target disk connected, (just to make sure my back up is secure).

I tried reinstalling, but I cannot go past the set up screens for Windows.