[SOLVED] Problem with PC, TV and 4k HDMI switch

Shodan5150

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
Hello. I have a 4K PC and an Asrock DeskMini A300 mini PC and a Nvidia Shield connected to a 4k HDMI switch. My problem is the screen flickers when the PC is on any screen but a Windows 10 screen in normal mode. When the PC boots, in the BIOS and Windows in safe mode the screen clickers.

I hooked the PC straight to the TV and it works fine.
I switch cables and it flickers.
The cables are all the same brand and type with all the latest specs and bandwidth.

My conclusion is that it's the switch, BUT it does not flicker in Windows normal mode.

I'm at a loss. Any help would be great.

Asrock DeskMini A300
AMD Ryzen 3200G
16GB 2666 G.Skill Ripjaws 2x8 RAM
Noctua NH-L9a cooler
Mushkin 250GB M.2 NVMe drive
Crucial 2TB Sata 3 drive
Windows 10 Pro

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What is the make and model of your 4K switch? A link to the device would help us two fold. Make and model of the cables used? A link to them would also help. It's probable that the refresh rate on the switch is not the same as what the monitor needs or the GPU is outputting.

Perhaps see if you've got any BIOS updates pending for your DeskMini.

Which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

There is 2 versions of the switch regular 4k and true 4k, which one you have?
Only the true4k version supports 4k60hz.

If you have the true4k then its the switch. Its always better to not use switches and converters.

Shodan5150

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2015
You you were right. 30 Hertz HDMI switch works fine with no flickering. However it would seem that all the 30 Hertz switchers only do hdcp 1.4, at least the ones that I looked at. So I guess I'll be keeping the 60 hertz switch that flickers when I'm outside of windows. I mean how often do I work outside of windows? Super rarely.