[SOLVED] Problem with powering a GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloud_coltheart

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Recently bought an RX 580 2048SP (8GB) and I didn't check if my PSU have the right connector, and alas, I only have 2 free molex and 1 free SATA connectors.

The GPU haven't arrived yet but I'm wondering how to approach this problem.

System Specs:
  • Processor: Intel i3-10100F
  • PSU: 700w Generic(Brand: Orion)
  • GPU: GT-710
  • RAM: 16GB(8x2) 2666MHz
  • Storage: 250GB TeamGroup M.2 and a 7200rpm 1TB HDD

My Generic PSU "says" it's rated for 700w.

Now from my research, the new GPU draws 150w max and thinking my PSU might be capable enough but lacks the connector to do so.

I can convert the 2 molex into a 6pin but I'm afraid I might get a subpar adapters and melt.

Another option is I found another Generic PSU (800w) that has an 8pin(2+2) for the cpu power and a 6pin.

What do you guys think?

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
You could power your card with SATA power, but it's really not suggested. EVGA wrote a FAQ which may provide you with more details.

I'd say flip your current PSU on the 2nd hand market, grab yourself a good 450 watt unit like Crosair's CX450, and call it a day.

Reactions: cloud_coltheart

DSzymborski

Titan
Don't flip the current PSU; it's not worth the cardboard box that it's shipped in. It ought to be in a recycling facility rather than in the computer of anyone. You should be thankful it doesn't have PCIE connectors or you might have no longer been the owner of an RX 580, either now or soon. It's a fake 700W PSU, that's built for a cheap office PC from 1992. It's too bad JonnyGuru's site is completely down these days; I think an Orion PSU exploding was in one of his "Tales of a Gutless Wonder" reviews.

Any GPU that requires supplementary power is well beyond the point where you stuff in some junky generic PSU and call it a day. You don't need a crazy good PSU or anything, but a good budget PSU, like the Corsair CX 450 recommended above, which tends to be among the least expensive PSUs worth buying. If the plan is to just stuff in the cheapest garbage that has PCIE connectors, then you're better off just shelving the plan to cut your losses and re-selling the RX 580 for hopefully as much as you purchased it for.

cloud_coltheart

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Don't flip the current PSU; it's not worth the cardboard box that it's shipped in. It ought to be in a recycling facility rather than in the computer of anyone. You should be thankful it doesn't have PCIE connectors or you might have no longer been the owner of an RX 580, either now or soon. It's a fake 700W PSU, that's built for a cheap office PC from 1992. It's too bad JonnyGuru's site is completely down these days; I think an Orion PSU exploding was in one of his "Tales of a Gutless Wonder" reviews.

Any GPU that requires supplementary power is well beyond the point where you stuff in some junky generic PSU and call it a day. You don't need a crazy good PSU or anything, but a good budget PSU, like the Corsair CX 450 recommended above, which tends to be among the least expensive PSUs worth buying. If the plan is to just stuff in the cheapest garbage that has PCIE connectors, then you're better off just shelving the plan to cut your losses and re-selling the RX 580 for hopefully as much as you purchased it for.

Thanks for the heads up! Just got home from several stores and I'm looking at a CoolerMaster Elite v3 600W that seems to be a good solution to all this problem, they do have Corsairs there but they're all too high spec'd and can't afford one rn. Should I look for more options? TIA!

cloud_coltheart

Reputable
May 1, 2019
You could power your card with SATA power, but it's really not suggested. EVGA wrote a FAQ which may provide you with more details.

I'd say flip your current PSU on the 2nd hand market, grab yourself a good 450 watt unit like Crosair's CX450, and call it a day.

Hmm.. SATA power? I heard that before and sounds risky like the molex thing.. Just got back from some shops around here and the Corsairs they're offering are too high spec'd and expensive, I'm looking at a CoolerMaster Elite v3 600w, what do you think?

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the heads up! Just got home from several stores and I'm looking at a CoolerMaster Elite v3 600W that seems to be a good solution to all this problem, they do have Corsairs there but they're all too high spec'd and can't afford one rn. Should I look for more options? TIA!

I'm not sure I'd call that a good solution. It's still a really cheaply made, group-regulated PSU, though far better than the ones you're looking at. I'd only use it if you're truly desperate and willing to accept the additional risk. My personal advice would be not to use an RX 580 on anything that's less quality than a Corsair CX, but your risk/benefit calculation may be different than mine.

Now, there are PSUs that are too expensive for your, but there's no such thing as "too high spec'd." PSUs only use the power that the components require.

cloud_coltheart

Reputable
May 1, 2019
I just want to report back, well now I'm waiting for the new PSU (MSI MAG 550w), since I can't decide whether to wait for the PSU and let the return policy of my GPU expire without testing it or go ahead and test it out since I already have a high quality adaptor. Went for a toss coin and fate decided to test it out already.

Plugged in my gpu, with the adapter (2 molex to 8 pin), PC posts, and automatically downloaded all the drivers needed and everything seems working fine. After some hardware verification and little gaming, I encountered a BSOD, tried again and met with 4 more BSODs, and I noticed it only happens when the GPU tries to render intense graphics, followed by my peripheral disconnecting and then finally the BSOD. Figured it might be my psu generating insufficient power for everything (since one of the BSODs made my system unable to recognize the m.2 ssd where my os is installed).

So, I put the GT 710 back and everything's back to normal. Still waiting for the PSU. What are your insights?

Reactions: Exploding PSU

DSzymborski

Titan
I just want to report back, well now I'm waiting for the new PSU (MSI MAG 550w), since I can't decide whether to wait for the PSU and let the return policy of my GPU expire without testing it or go ahead and test it out since I already have a high quality adaptor. Went for a toss coin and fate decided to test it out already.

Plugged in my gpu, with the adapter (2 molex to 8 pin), PC posts, and automatically downloaded all the drivers needed and everything seems working fine. After some hardware verification and little gaming, I encountered a BSOD, tried again and met with 4 more BSODs, and I noticed it only happens when the GPU tries to render intense graphics, followed by my peripheral disconnecting and then finally the BSOD. Figured it might be my psu generating insufficient power for everything (since one of the BSODs made my system unable to recognize the m.2 ssd where my os is installed).

So, I put the GT 710 back and everything's back to normal. Still waiting for the PSU. What are your insights?

Don't ever do this again unless you don't want to be an owner of an RX 580 for very long. This GPU should never have been connected to that dangerous junk, even for a minute. There's a small, but real possibility that you've already caused permanent damage.

There's nothing to do except have the GPU connected when you have proper power for it and then re-evaluate then. Paramedics don't evaluate people having heart attacks by taking them for a quick jog.

Reactions: Corwin65

cloud_coltheart

Reputable
May 1, 2019
Don't ever do this again unless you don't want to be an owner of an RX 580 for very long. This GPU should never have been connected to that dangerous junk, even for a minute. There's a small, but real possibility that you've already caused permanent damage.

There's nothing to do except have the GPU connected when you have proper power for it and then re-evaluate then. Paramedics don't evaluate people having heart attacks by taking them for a quick jog.

I understand, I got this habit of mine when I can't decide something, I do a coin toss.. But anyway, thank you for the advice, hopefully I didn't do any damage to any of the devices I own, I will report back when I have the PSU and reconfigured everything again. In the meantime, I've been using the PC and no peculiar events or problems I've encountered so far. Again I apologize for my recent decisions 🥺

DSzymborski

Titan
I understand, I got this habit of mine when I can't decide something, I do a coin toss.. But anyway, thank you for the advice, hopefully I didn't do any damage to any of the devices I own, I will report back when I have the PSU and reconfigured everything again. In the meantime, I've been using the PC and no peculiar events or problems I've encountered so far. Again I apologize for my recent decisions 🥺

No need to apologize to me! I'm just trying to keep your PC as safe as possible for your benefit! Junk PSUs can be really scary.

cloud_coltheart

Reputable
May 1, 2019
No need to apologize to me! I'm just trying to keep your PC as safe as possible for your benefit! Junk PSUs can be really scary.

Final Report:
Just got the PSU today, an MSI MAG A550BN. Plugged everything and checked everything, everything seems running fine, ran it through some intense loads, no BSODs. Finally could record game clips with high resolutions. Thanks for the suggestions! Cheers!

Btw, kept the old PSU, not going to give it to anyone.

Might sell my old GPU though.

Status
Not open for further replies.