Problem with System Recovey on Windows XP Media Centre edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMorris55

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Hi, I have a Phillips Freeline Windows XP Media Centre PC and am trying to perform a System recovey as it's running quite slowly. When I get to the system recovery screen and choose 'non-destructive' option, a message pops-up saying 'This recovery option is not available as a service pack has been installed on your computer recently'. I don't really know what this means - please help!

Thanks

HMorris

Solution

Yes, but be mindful you will have to reinstall all applications, drivers etc you installed after receiving the computer.

Non-Destructive System Recovery- The System Recovery program, in this normal default mode of operation, recovers factory-shipped applications, drivers and the operating system without affecting any data files that you may have created since purchasing this PC.

Why you no longer have it, do not know why service pack update would get rid of it; So whatever you do, back up your data files before hand !

HMorris55

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
yes, I have backed everything up - in 2 places.

I want to restore the computer right back to the first day i bought/used it, so that there aren't any programmes or my personal documents on it. do i need to do a full destructive recovery rather than a non-destructive recovery to achieve this?

H

Yes, but be mindful you will have to reinstall all applications, drivers etc you installed after receiving the computer.

Solution

HMorris55

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I completed the Full, destructive recovery this morning.

When I say I had backed everything up, I meant program files and drivers as well - I'm not too computer illiterate so I understood what I had to do, the recovery program explains it quite clearly too. It was just the error message that I mentioned which i needed help with.

Thanks for your help, :)

H

Good to hear you got it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.