Problem with system restore

3bells

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
When I attempt to restore my system,under "confirm disks to restore" I get the
Drive: System "there is not enough free space to restore disk"
Drive" OS (C:) (System) Ready to restore.

I haven't tried to restore since I got this message. I don't know if it would work or mess things up. And I'm still concerned about why this partition is full.

Is it normal for my System drive (a partition of my primary OS (C:) drive to become
full? I have 2.00 GB on it, that is how it came to me. There are 310 MB left, 15% of
the drive is free. It shows under my Computer management/Storage/Disk

Management Window, but not in Windows explorer.

If it is normal, is there a way I can regain space? Is that where the window restore
files are stored?

My OS C drive has 64% free (Capacity 277.40 GB.

I tried error checking under properties, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

Thank you for any advice!

The secondary partition would be the restore partition. The restore is just asking you to select which drive you want to restore on, select C:

Keep in mind that you'll loose all your files if you do this.

The restore partition did not become full, it was made small, just enough to fit the recovery files.

3bells

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012

Thanks for the response. I have several backups so am not worried about files.

It was moot anyhow, when I tried to reboot there was no getting back in. I had just done a system backup a few days ago and have a repair disk, but the best Win 7 could offer me was a two year old backup. I accepted it, but since I'd changed my password to log in (didn't keep the old one) I was blocked. Then I found an old external drive I wasn't using anymore because it was too small for all my files. It had three system backups saved on it. I was able to boot from the repair disk and it found the backup. Several months old, but I've been wanting to clean things up anyhow.

My "System partition" now is only abut half full.

I wondered if the system partition is where the restore files are kept. That would explain why it gets so large. How can a person delete old restore points they are unlikely to use?