[SOLVED] Problem with TP-Link POE injector

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014
Hello,

I'm having an issue with a TP-Link POE injector (TL-PoE150S ). I'm wiring an IP camera system using cat6 shielded wire. The lan port will not accept cat6 shielded wire. I've tried different wires with different ends. The POE port on the injector works fine with the same wire going to the camera. The same wire will provide a lan connection to a laptop. If I use a cat5e wire between the switch and lan port, all works as expected. It just does not like any version of cat6 shielded wire for the lan port.

Can anybody think of a reason for this? TP-Link's support was not helpful. I can't think of any reason that the same wire works on one end of the injector but not on the other end.

Can anybody recommend an injector that won't have this issue?

Solution
It shouldn't but it could be you have a fake cable. There is massive amounts of fake cable being sold on amazon and many other sizes. The wire must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat of thin cable)

Shielded cable is a pain to properly install. It really is only used in data centers mostly for connection between patch panels and not to end devices.

A proper shielded cable will have metal ends that are connected to the shield. These metal ends must make contact to a data ground inside the equipment. Almost no consumer equipment supports this so and if you use a shielded cable it provides no benefit because it is not grounded. It can in some cases act as a antenna and actually cause interference...
It shouldn't but it could be you have a fake cable. There is massive amounts of fake cable being sold on amazon and many other sizes. The wire must be pure copper (no cca) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat of thin cable)

Shielded cable is a pain to properly install. It really is only used in data centers mostly for connection between patch panels and not to end devices.

A proper shielded cable will have metal ends that are connected to the shield. These metal ends must make contact to a data ground inside the equipment. Almost no consumer equipment supports this so and if you use a shielded cable it provides no benefit because it is not grounded. It can in some cases act as a antenna and actually cause interference.

It should work fine with your equipment and just not be used. That device seems to have a metal frame around the port. Maybe it is making contact and since it is not designed to shielded cables you may have some strange grounding issue.

Still I would first verify that you do not have fake cables it is even more important when you are running PoE over the cable.

Solution

imthebigchief

Honorable
Nov 26, 2014

A proper shielded cable will have metal ends that are connected to the shield. These metal ends must make contact to a data ground inside the equipment. Almost no consumer equipment supports this so and if you use a shielded cable it provides no benefit because it is not grounded. It can in some cases act as a antenna and actually cause interference.

It should work fine with your equipment and just not be used. That device seems to have a metal frame around the port. Maybe it is making contact and since it is not designed to shielded cables you may have some strange grounding issue.

Still I would first verify that you do not have fake cables it is even more important when you are running PoE over the cable.

Definitely not bad cable. 23AWG solid bare copper. The same cable is working on short and longer runs, and working to and from regular switches, POE switches, and the cameras. It's just the one port on the POE injector that's a problem. I also tried some cat6a shielded patch cables that are stranded wire. I think you could be correct about the metal on the ends, but why it works on the output of the injector and not the input is weird.

I had one other similar issue in the past. I worked on some Dell laptops for a client that would not accept the shielded ends. I had to use a coupler to couple the cat6 shielded to cat5e to get a lan connection to the laptops. Only those were a problem. All my computers, client's computers, switches, router, and other devices have had no issues with it.

The output has power on it is the main difference. Maybe the power is somehow affected by the ground.

The more I read about shielded cable and the install requirements the more I understood why the electricians doing the data center installs constantly complained about it.

You actually have to have dedicated ground that is completely seperate from the ground used by the electrical power. There are all kinds of rules about how each end is grounded to avoid ground loops etc.

This is almost impossible to do in anything but a large data center. The vast majority people buy and it makes them feel good even though all they really did was waste their money because it is improperly installed. In general it will work fine just not any better than cheaper cable.

Yours is a rather strange case. Maybe cut the metal end off and reterminate it with a simple rj45 plastic plug.