Problem with USB connections, sleeping and shut downs?

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
I'm not sure if this is specifically a Windows problem or what but I started noticing it after a recent Windows 10 update so best place to start I guess.

The problem starts with my USB devices. When I start my PC up everything is fine, they're plugged in and working. However as soon as I try to unplug any device and then plug it back in suddenly my PC isn't registering it any more. I tried it with my tablet, my mouse, the wireless transmitter for the mouse and every time it's working fine until i unplug and plug it back in when it just stops registering.

The problem is also seemingly causing problems with sleeping and shutdowns. After the USB oddness kicks in If I attempt to do either my monitor turns off but my PC just keeps humming away like normal until I have to eventually force it to shut down by holding the power button.

Solution
Did you also do as Cody suggested?

Also... Unplug all non-essentials. Leave only the primary devices attached - Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

Restart with just these. Check the Event Viewer for any alerts yellow or red since this boot up.

Plug 1 device in... Does it setup? Check the Event log again after refreshing it. Anything bad/new? Now unplug it. Check Event log again... (you should be waiting ~5 seconds between add/remove as well, do it too fast and it will cause issues)

repeat this with 1 device at a time. do not leave the previous one attached. and try it with a successful device on various ports.

Can you isolate a bad device?

Additionally, go to the motherboard MFG's support site and see if there are any new...

codygriffy

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2013
I would go into your control panel. Find power options. Go into advanced of each section and make sure everything to do with sleep timers, and shutdown timers are all set to off. Also check in there for anything to do with power usage. Set this to maximum performance. Balanced and power saver might be causing your issue.

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I've been trying to do this but I've been running into some problems. There's 9 items under USB controllers, I started uninstalling the first one and my mouse got disabled, used the keyboard to uninstall another one and half of the remaining disappeared and the keyboard stopped working. Rebooted and tried from the bottom up and instantly lost keyboard and mouse.

I have a 3.1 Host Controller, Generic USB Hub, 3.0 host controller, two composite devices, 2 mass storage devices and two root hubs. Is there anything I should focus on? Or avoid the hubs since losing those kills the mouse and keyboard?

Also for whatever reason the problem doesn't seem persistent? Right after rebooting I can unplug and plug back in fine but over time I'm not sure what happens but the problem kicks in somewhere.

I did a partial restart to kill as many processes as possible and stopped it before it actually restarted to see if there was anything interfering but everything I unplugged was still unresponsive.

Did you also do as Cody suggested?

Also... Unplug all non-essentials. Leave only the primary devices attached - Keyboard, Mouse and Monitor.

Restart with just these. Check the Event Viewer for any alerts yellow or red since this boot up.

Plug 1 device in... Does it setup? Check the Event log again after refreshing it. Anything bad/new? Now unplug it. Check Event log again... (you should be waiting ~5 seconds between add/remove as well, do it too fast and it will cause issues)

repeat this with 1 device at a time. do not leave the previous one attached. and try it with a successful device on various ports.

Can you isolate a bad device?

Additionally, go to the motherboard MFG's support site and see if there are any new device drivers for the USB and or Interface Drivers and Chipset Drivers. Look for ones with dates from, say, June to present... Download, update and check.

Solution