Problem with USB ports on a Acer TravelMate 4000 laptop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

home_66

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Well guess I too have had a problem with my usb ports on an acer aspire 3000. When I first got the laptop it worked, but now 2 years later 2 of the 3 stopped for no apparent reason. Then i noticed something. If i plug the usb device into the usb port and push up or down on it, you now just play around with it, that it will recognize it. It like if your messing around with a tv antenna if you move it the right way it works. Try that in all three ports and hopefully it will work for you.

archblanket

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
Hey All,

I have an Acer TravelMate C210 and as you might guess the USB ports dont work...well, they do work but selectively for example most things work and this ACME Optical Mouse does NOT. it lights up tells me there is a new USB mouse and that's as far as it gets, on another laptop (Toshiba) I plugged in the mouse and it worked about 2seconds latter with no drivers or trouble. I tried getting drivers off the website and they have drivers for all but my mouse however I got a general one and no luck. I dont know if its a problem because the TravelMate has a pen selector (sort-of-touch-screen-but-not-really) or something else but I've spent all day on it and no luck getting it to run the mouse is fine the computer is fine so I dont know why it wont work.

I'm just posting here in the hopes someone from Acer comes here and spends a good 40min just READING these posts and maybe, MAYBE they can start making things that work.

If anyone has ideas about the mouse problem please let me know :)

imbored

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I am having a similar problem with a Travelmate 2300. The USB ports don't work. Now out of curiosity I pulled the laptop apart tonight.... The USB ports are integrated into the main board so to replace them, the whole motherboard would have to be swapped. I guess I was hoping there were ribbon cables or something that had jarred loose and I was wrong. I have concluded it is probably the voltage / amperage being sent to the USB ports. I plug any USB device on and it does not power up. But it does show the USB controllers on the main board as being detected with the correct drivers. Also they all say "This device is functioning properly". I figured maybe it was my Windows XP install so I re-installed Windows from scratch. Same problem. Definitely hardware. Probably a power or voltage regulator or something on the main board. I am willing to bet Acer is aware of this problem. They know it is a BIG problem that is their fault and are not willing to fix it out of their pockets. Even though it is obviously a defect with their main boards. PCMCIA is probably the only solution if you want to use USB. Sounds like Acer needs to take responsibility for defective main boards and replace them after engineering the USB chipsets or voltage regulators on their boards properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.