Question Problem with USB switch

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
Having an issue with a USB switch.
Setup is 2 computers that connect to one keyboard.
From the first computer there is a 10m active usb extension cord, connected to another 1m extension cord, connected in the input port of a UGREEN USB Switch Selector.
From the second computer a 1m usb extension cord connected to another 1m usb extension cord, connected in the usb switch. Don't ask why.
Keyboard MS Ergo4000.

Problem is the second computer.
When it starts up it does recognize the keyboard, the lights on the keyboard do not light up. Switching to computer 1 input is ok, keyboard works. Other usb devices on computer 2 work.

If I unplug the keyboard from the switch and connect it into computer 2 directly it still does not work.
What does work is switching the usb port where the keyboard in plugged (directly) in computer 2, then restarting computer 2 with the keyboard plugged in it, then connecting it to the switch.

What I've tried:
  • I tried swapping the inputs.
  • All 4 out ports with the keyboard.
  • Unplugging and plugging the keyboard from the switch.
  • Adding the 5v additional power avail for the switch.

Removing the usb connection from computer 1 and powering computer 2 sometimes results in the keyboard working. After a restart not working (or working). Restart twice works. Restart again does not work. And so on.
Switching the input ports with just computer 2 connected does not make any difference.

Don't have a third machine to test on and there are not that many usb switches available. Not sure what exactly the problem is ?

obviously the easiest solution would be to find a second keyboard to use and avoid this mess of cables & switch altogether.

but i've run into similar issues with USB hubs and other's switches where certain connected devices just were not properly powered up upon system start \ OS load even though others would be.

also other times where these hubs & switches themselves were not receiving the necessary power for some unknown reason and no devices would power up and/or a USB error would appear upon POST.

usually turned out to be that these hubs & switches were just lower quality because often replacing them with a better option would fix the issue.

hifinoob

Honorable
Jun 12, 2016
obviously the easiest solution would be to find a second keyboard to use and avoid this mess of cables & switch altogether.

but i've run into similar issues with USB hubs and other's switches where certain connected devices just were not properly powered up upon system start \ OS load even though others would be.

also other times where these hubs & switches themselves were not receiving the necessary power for some unknown reason and no devices would power up and/or a USB error would appear upon POST.

usually turned out to be that these hubs & switches were just lower quality because often replacing them with a better option would fix the issue.

I can't use a second keyboard, must use that one. Can't access or see bios/post.