[SOLVED] Problem with video memory (DRIVING ME INSANE!)

Mar 3, 2017
So i can't seem to find a damn solution for this.
My PC specs to start:
Ryzen 5 3600x
RTX 2080 Super
32GB Cosair ram
1.7TB M.2 Samsung

750W powersupply Rog strix
For some reason, my pc totally locks up at random points during heavy load like gameplay, and sometimes while using my browser and discord is open. And to fix it i have to unplug all my monitors and plug them back in again, which leads me to believe its a video memory issue. Now for some reason discord uses 4gb, and my game uses the other 4, and when i take my monitors out and back in, the ram drops back to 1.4gb usage before slowly ramping back up to 8gb usage.
This can't be normal behavior of a fricking 2080 super. Nor the rest of my parts.
Does anyone have any pointers for this? Things i can do/ try

Solution
Go to the settings of discord and disable hardware acceleration. See if that fixes your issue. I would also recommend to uninstall and reinstall discord if the disabling does not work.
It's most probably a discord bug.
So i can't seem to find a damn solution for this.
My PC specs to start:
Ryzen 5 3600x
RTX 2080 Super
32GB Cosair ram
1.7TB M.2 Samsung

750W powersupply Rog strix
For some reason, my pc totally locks up at random points during heavy load like gameplay, and sometimes while using my browser and discord is open. And to fix it i have to unplug all my monitors and plug them back in again, which leads me to believe its a video memory issue. Now for some reason discord uses 4gb, and my game uses the other 4, and when i take my monitors out and back in, the ram drops back to 1.4gb usage before slowly ramping back up to 8gb usage.
This can't be normal behavior of a fricking 2080 super. Nor the rest of my parts.
Does anyone have any pointers for this? Things i can do/ try
Please run this and post a link to your results.

Did you get the parts at the same time or is some of the parts older than others ? When your playing are you gaming at 1080 on low settings or high or 1440 low or high ?
You may have already answered this but i forgot and not in a spot to go back right now are any of the games you having issues with on your hdd? If so your hdd looks as thoigh it maybe failing check its health??

Reactions: kurdtnz
Judging by your results, your GPU is working well but your cpu has very high background usage, did you have anything else opened in the background when running the test? What cpu cooler are you using? Also, your RAM is kind of slow, Ryzen's love fast RAM, 3200-3600mhz is ideal.

Ok, many things pop up from this.
High background cpu usage while running the benchmark. 38% is a lot, it should be lower than 10%. Please close all applications and run again.
I would also recommend to scan your system for malware using Malwarebytes.

Your SSD although 2TB has low free space as a percentage. Yeah I know, 250ish GB it's not considered low but as a percentage, when the free space is less than 40%, most SSDs slow down and have worse performance. I suggest moving unnecessary files to another drive.

Your RAM is very slow for RYZEN. It is recommended to have 3200Mhz ram of dual channel for good results and 3600MHz of dual channel for best results. In some cases/games you lose more than 50% of performance.

Now for your problem. Discord should NOT use 4GB of VRAM. You might have a malware as I suggested above, run a scan. Do you have the latest windows updates, Bios, chipset drivers, gpu drivers? How are your temps idle and while gaming? What is the exact make and model of the PSU?

Mar 3, 2017
Judging by your results, your GPU is working well but your cpu has very high background usage, did you have anything else opened in the background when running the test? What cpu cooler are you using? Also, your RAM is kind of slow, Ryzen's love fast RAM, 3200-3600mhz is ideal.
Idk, I'm going to do it again in a second once I've checked that nothing is running in the background. CPU cooler is generic cooler that keeps things cool, Don't know its name. And as for my RAM, theres nothing i can do but overclock. In this time, definitely not anywhere near the realm of buying new ram

Mar 3, 2017
Ok, many things pop up from this.
High background cpu usage while running the benchmark. 38% is a lot, it should be lower than 10%. Please close all applications and run again.
I would also recommend to scan your system for malware using Malwarebytes.

Your SSD although 2TB has low free space as a percentage. Yeah I know, 250ish GB it's not considered low but as a percentage, when the free space is less than 40%, most SSDs slow down and have worse performance. I suggest moving unnecessary files to another drive.

Your RAM is very slow for RYZEN. It is recommended to have 3200Mhz ram of dual channel for good results and 3600MHz of dual channel for best results. In some cases/games you lose more than 50% of performance.

Now for your problem. Discord should NOT use 4GB of VRAM. You might have a malware as I suggested above, run a scan. Do you have the latest windows updates, Bios, chipset drivers, gpu drivers? How are your temps idle and while gaming? What is the exact make and model of the PSU?
Ran a scan, nothing popped up. Ran a new bench mark also for you, this time making sure nothing was open, i also scanned my PC, updated all drivers and made sure windows was updated, as for my bios i updated that as soon as i got it which was about 2 weeks ago, so that should be fine.

Temps idle are low, gpu 30 odd, cpu 40 odd
During gaming gpu stays around 40-50 and cpu is about 50 odd

PSU Is a ROG Strix 750W Gold PSU with model no: RSSS04-750G1

Oh and i also just overclocked my memory to 3066Mhz at 1.35v because someone said 2400mhz is too slow

New benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40348157

Ran a scan, nothing popped up. Ran a new bench mark also for you, this time making sure nothing was open, i also scanned my PC, updated all drivers and made sure windows was updated, as for my bios i updated that as soon as i got it which was about 2 weeks ago, so that should be fine.

Oh and i also just overclocked my memory to 3066Mhz at 1.35v because someone said 2400mhz is too slow

much better results, good job!

Yeah, I mentioned they were slow as well. Those are far better results but how about your issue, has it happened again?

Mar 3, 2017
Yeah, I mentioned they were slow as well. Those are far better results but how about your issue, has it happened again?
Unfortunately no dice. I've taken a short gif to show you that it is discord (Task manager covering most of my sensitive stuff but discord is in the background)
When it goes black, thats when i have refreshed discord and you can see clearly that my vram usage drops like a rock from 4.2, let it be known at this time i am not playing a game, just spotify is playing
https://gyazo.c om/f0a6ffc5f05ad204e055bb22301bd4e8

Mar 3, 2017
Unfortunately no dice. I've taken a short gif to show you that it is discord (Task manager covering most of my sensitive stuff but discord is in the background)
When it goes black, thats when i have refreshed discord and you can see clearly that my vram usage drops like a rock from 4.2, let it be known at this time i am not playing a game, just spotify is playing
https://gyazo.c om/f0a6ffc5f05ad204e055bb22301bd4e8
You'll have to remove the space, this site won't let me post the link