[SOLVED] Problem with voltages

orlando123

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
So I bought a premade pc. This is the benchmark test and so that I don't have to type in the specs.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52366043

I am having frame freezes when gaming on even the lowest settings where my previous pc could handle. The GPU load% drops to 0% and HWMonitor shows that the CPU core voltage drops to as low as 0.15V. Also the voltages on the i7 12700 pins drop to 0.6-0.7 and I am not sure if this is normal. The GPU is around 0.7V.

So my question is what is causing this and how do I solve it? Is it a dodgy power supply? I am still able to return the pc and get a refund.

Solution
... the GPU loading percentage would drop to 0 % in game when I got the frame freezes.
This might have been caused by the Seagate 2 TB mechanical hard drive. Manufacturers of pre-built computers include junk like this because mechanical hard drives are big and cheap. They also tend to cut corners when it comes to the motherboard, the memory and the power supply. It is a cut throat business.

Your first Userbenchmark showed Throttled 94%. You will never see smooth gaming performance if there is a ton of stuff running in the background. Next time you buy a computer, spend some time deleting the bloatware apps that most manufacturer's love to install.

It sounds like your out of box experience was not that great.
So I bought a premade pc. This is the benchmark test and so that I don't have to type in the specs.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/52366043

I am having frame freezes when gaming on even the lowest settings where my previous pc could handle. The GPU load% drops to 0% and HWMonitor shows that the CPU core voltage drops to as low as 0.15V. Also the voltages on the i7 12700 pins drop to 0.6-0.7 and I am not sure if this is normal. The GPU is around 0.7V.

So my question is what is causing this and how do I solve it? Is it a dodgy power supply? I am still able to return the pc and get a refund.
No SSD?!

What cooler does it have?

RAM installed in slots a2-b2? Enable XMP in BIOS

The very userbenchmark tells you what to do:
CPU throttled at 94% by Windows. Ensure maximum processor state is set to 100% via Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings > Change plan settings > Change advanced power settings > Processor power management > Maximum processor state.
Quite possibly the PC has crap instead of cooler so makers limited CPU power limits to not overheat it. It's a typical practice.
Is it a dodgy power supply?
That is also quite possible, but since we know exactly zero about what PSU is installed we can't even speculate.

orlando123

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
No SSD?!

What cooler does it have?

RAM installed in slots a2-b2? Enable XMP in BIOS

It has a 1tb ssd, I don't know why it wasn't shown.
Not sure what cooler it is, it just looks like a cheap heatsink fan made by them. it just says frostblade or something. But the temperatures do seem okay though.
And yeah a2 b2 for rams.
The power supply says lite-on 800w 80 gold standard. I'm assuming this is crap too.

the CPU core voltage drops to as low as 0.15V.
When some of the low power C states are enabled, individual cores are disconnected from the voltage rail so they are actually getting 0 volts. Monitoring software seems to do some sort of averaging and will report a very low voltage value when this is happening. This is completely normal.

When the C states are enabled, the CPU has to be loaded for you to see a meaningful voltage value. In my example, the reported Max Vcore voltage is right where it should be.

OLGe8l5.png

Reactions: orlando123

orlando123

Reputable
Nov 12, 2018
When some of the low power C states are enabled, individual cores are disconnected from the voltage rail so they are actually getting 0 volts. Monitoring software seems to do some sort of averaging and will report a very low voltage value when this is happening. This is completely normal.

When the C states are enabled, the CPU has to be loaded for you to see a meaningful voltage value. In my example, the reported Max Vcore voltage is right where it should be.

OLGe8l5.png
Thank you. I decided to return the pc as the frame freezes were driving me insane. Also the graphics driver decided to crash too. I forgot to mention the GPU loading percentage would drop to 0 % in game when I got the frame freezes.

... the GPU loading percentage would drop to 0 % in game when I got the frame freezes.
This might have been caused by the Seagate 2 TB mechanical hard drive. Manufacturers of pre-built computers include junk like this because mechanical hard drives are big and cheap. They also tend to cut corners when it comes to the motherboard, the memory and the power supply. It is a cut throat business.

Your first Userbenchmark showed Throttled 94%. You will never see smooth gaming performance if there is a ton of stuff running in the background. Next time you buy a computer, spend some time deleting the bloatware apps that most manufacturer's love to install.

It sounds like your out of box experience was not that great.

Reactions: orlando123
Solution