[SOLVED] Problem with Windows 10 Update bricking my OS

Jan 15, 2020
I recently built my own custom PC with purchased parts from neweggs. After I finished the build, I installed the latest windows 10 Pro on the PC, everything went well and installed without any issues. Just last night, there's a windows update that were prompted for me to install, so I install and shutdown my new PC.

This morning, when my PC starts up, windows 10 tells me that it has a problem and try to automatically attempt repairing it. After I went through all the options to repair / restore point etc, nothing works. Now I'm left with the only option is to install windows 10 again fresh, which will mean I have to set everything else up (like my application etc).

This exact same thing happened to me about a year ago on another custom build PC that I built. The symptom is always that Windows 10 can install fresh without any problems (detecting all the hardware and installing the respective drivers etc). Then when a major windows 10 update comes, it will always attempt to install then failed, then it bricks the OS and can't be repair, so I ended up having to install windows 10 fresh again. I remembered hearing from someone else that windows 10 update just could not recognize custom built PC, but the update works with brand new PCs.

Is this true? or has anyone else come against this problem?

In the previous case, I got so sick of update issue, that I gotten rid of windows 10 completely and install Linux Mint. However, there is some software I need to use only runs on windows, that's why I kind of stuck w/ windows.

Here's my build spec list for new PC:
- Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING AM4 AMD B450 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD RYZEN 7 2700 8-Core 3.2 GHz (4.1 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W YD2700BBAFBOX Desktop Processor
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 CPU
  • Graphic Card: XFX - AMD Radeon RX 580 GTS Black Edition 8GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black
  • 64GB RAM

Jan 15, 2020
Just to be clear, when you built your pc you used win10 with a licensed copy? Not a copy of a copy? And did you install the drivers and chipset drivers for the motherboard from the motherboards support site?

It was ISO that I downloaded from Microsoft that I burned to my own DVD, and I activated with my license key during installation. I have installed all the drivers etc from the motherboard disc and also updated them online.

Everything is working and installed correctly and I've been using it for about a week now. Just last night, there's a windows 10 update (I know because when I turn my PC, I see the option of install update and shut down).

When I install it fresh, everything was detected and installed correctly ( I mean windows 10 detects all the devices no problem at all).

The version of windows 10 I downloaded from Microsoft is 1909 (release day Dec 2019). I believe that's the latest version you can download.

Then when a major windows 10 update comes, it will always attempt to install then failed, then it bricks the OS and can't be repair, so I ended up having to install windows 10 fresh again. I remembered hearing from someone else that windows 10 update just could not recognize custom built PC, but the update works with brand new PCs.
Some of installed software can prevent windows from updating properly. Some antivirus software can do that.

For example McAfee antivirus has to be uninstalled before you can do major windows 10 update. After update you can reinstall it, but on next major update the problem will be back.

Jan 15, 2020
I can not get to the command prompt at all. When I select the recovery option, windows give me the option of re-installing, repair (did not work), system restore point (I did not do one), restore from backup (I don't have a back up).

I could not get to the command prompt.

Jan 15, 2020
Some of installed software can prevent windows from updating properly. Some antivirus software can do that.

For example McAfee antivirus has to be uninstalled before you can do major windows 10 update. After update you can reinstall it, but on next major update the problem will be back.

I have windows 10, and Office 2016 installed, and nothing else. I don't have any anti-virus software installed.