Problem with Windows Image Scaling

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015
Some years ago, when monitor resolutions were increasing, the text, icons and buttons became too small for me. Using the applicable Windows function, I was able to scale-up the onscreen image to about 115 to 120%, and everything was fine.

About two years ago, I built a Windows 7 computer and purchased a very high quality HP “Z Series” (with IPS panel) 1080 widescreen monitor. The resolution was/is great, but text, icons and button WAY too small. On this Windows 7 machine, the image scaling is not infinite or incremental, but has three positions: 100, 125% and 150%. I found the 150% to be perfect.

I just built a Windows 10 computer and purchased a Viewsonic widescreen 1080 monitor. The image scaling function is similar to Windows 7: 100% (recommended), 125% and 150%. Yes, the 100% (recommended) setting renders sharp text, icons and buttons, but much too small. The problem, however, is that setting the image scaling to either 125% or 150% results in blurry images. For example, in my WordPerfect, the menus, buttons and text are not sharp at all — yes, easily recognizable, but somewhat out of focus. Same is true of desktop icons. If under Display Settings I go back to 100%, everything is one again very sharp, but too small for me.

So my question relates to my Windows 7 computer with HP “Z Series” (1080 resolution) monitor, vs. my new Windows 10 machine with Viewsonic (1080 resolution) monitor. Why does image scaling on the latter computer and monitor result in a poor overall image, whereas on the Windows 7 computer with the HP monitor retain a very sharp image notwithstanding my adjusting the scaling to 125% or even 150%?

I note that I use the onboard/chipset Intel graphics on both machines.

Could this be a monitor issue? Is this a Windows 10 issue?

Thanks for suggestions.

Solution
windows 10 issue as you have no problem in windows 7. windows 7 also has a "set custom text size(dpi)" option on left hand side of the image scaling function.

Avagadro1

Reputable
Oct 29, 2015

Yes, that's my point exactly. I thought that Windows 10 was mostly a features/interface update but that the underlying computing engine and file structure were the same. Yet, even at 150% scaling, the image on the Windows 7 machine with the really good HP "Z Series" monitor are quite sharp and clear, whereas any display/image setting but the recommended 100% on the Windows 10 machine is not at all sharp.