Question Problem with wireless security cameras ?

Tiakii

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2017
I bought 3 x Tapo C520WS Security WiFi Cameras and after unboxing them I spent the afternoon testing them all and found no issues with any of them so I got to work installing them around the house. I also made sure the WiFi signal was strong enough using the Tapo App to test WiFi strength and they are all within perfect range. One of them being no less than 5 meters away from the router only being separated by a windowpane.

When I disconnect from the WiFi ( same network as what the cameras are on ) I cannot view the camera feed at all. The live video feed is completely unresponsive. Even the time display stamp doesn't progress. It’s just completely stuck. If I press any buttons in the app (e.g. the move buttons) the camera still responds and does what I input, but it doesn't update the video feed on my phone. So if I rotate the camera. It will rotate, but it will not update the feed. I’ll still be staring at a frozen image. I’ve left it for more than 5 minutes and it just doesn't update at all. Even standing right next to the camera.

Possible solutions I've tried includes - Reinstalling and updating the app - Updating the firmware on the cameras - Changed the image quality to 720p and the fps to 15 thinking that my mobile network might just be too slow - Used multiple devices - Changed the Display settings to Compatible Mode

The camera is 100% useless if I am not on the same network which defeats the purpose of a security camera when you are not home. Does anyone know how to fix this or have any solutions for me as I do not want to return them. I really like them a lot and I love the features. I’ve also already drilled holes in my wall as I thought I've tested everything thoroughly, but clearly I missed one vital test. Any and all responses are highly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

This is a bit scary that it even partially works remotely without a lot of setup. I have not bothered to read any documentation on your cameras.

My guess would be all your camera data is being fed to some server on the internet. When you use your phone not connected to wifi you are using the cell network to game internet access. This app would somehow have to pull the data from that server on the internet.

So in addition to having all your camera data being stored someplace you do not control you are at the mercy of the bandwidth both on the server and on you phone. Maybe you are not getting enough data rate on your cell phone plan. Cameras can use a lot of bandwidth.

Cameras are extremely insecure. You hear about hacking into them all the time. You never really want them available directly on the internet.

The only way that is secure is to use a vpn when you are remote. You would setup a vpn server on your router. You would then connect your phone to the vpn on the router and it would then appear as though it was on the local lan. The camera data would only flow over the vpn tunnel you built and you are in total control.

If you are going to try to use the cameras directly I would see if the company that sells them has customer support or maybe they have a forum.

This is not a networking issue by itself more of a application setup thing. Because it even paritally functions and you did not discuss setting up port forwarding this means there is some server owned by that company involved.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
FAQ: https://community.tp-link.com/en/smart-home/kb/detail/586

Q9: Can I use the Tapo camera without the Tapo app and without an account?
A: No, Tapo cameras require the Tapo app and a TP-Link ID account.

Q10: Can you use and activate the Tapo Camera without Wi-Fi?
A: Tapo cameras can be used when wireless is offline or unavailable. However, the cameras will require to be initially set up and configured with a Wi-Fi connection. You will also have to have 24/7 recording enabled with a MicroSD card inserted and formatted.

Note: You will not be able to access the live view of a camera that is offline.

Part 6: Other Questions​

Q6: Can I use my Tapo camera anywhere if there is no internet?

A: You can use the camera or watch the live view without an internet connection, but please ensure both your phone and the camera are connected to the same wireless network. The Local storage with the SD card will still work, and users can view the saved recordings through Playback.

Note: Notification or any other service associated with the TP-Link Cloud will not work if there is no internet access.

You probably also want to post questions at TP-Link forum as well.

Last edited: