Question Problems accessing Windows on USB DVD drive on boot-up ?

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
My new system completes the POST on start-up and I'm able to access the BIOS via delete key and everything seems to be in order, but I can't run or access the OEM Windows 10 on the USB DVD drive even though it is shown in the boot order list. The DVD drive is selected as the first boot device, but what happens is that something to do with Windows appears for a split-second, but then the screen blanks except for a small flashing horizontal white line (like a hyphen) and the display remains like that forever, so what to do?

Just some thoughts here... The system is working ok as such otherwise I couldn't get into the BIOS, and all connected drives appear in the boot-list, so maybe it's a memory issue? The ram modules are rated at 3600MHz but the BIOS shows it as less than that, 2800MHz I think. Could this be the cause of it? Thanks if anyone can help.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Your BIOS should have a function to allow you to manually select the boot device at startup (F11 one system I have, F12 on another). Have you tried using that to select the optical drive? This is not the boot order thing you mentioned.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Thank you. Yes I've tried that as well, for me it's F12, which is followed by a prompt saying hit enter or similar to boot from DVD, but when I do this it's the same result - part of the Windows logo appears for a split-second, but then the screen blanks except for a small flashing horizontal white line. The Windows dvd rom was/is already in the dvd drive when I booted up.

but I can't run or access the OEM Windows 10 on the USB DVD
Are you sure this is an installation disk and not a recovery or something else that needs to be run in a different way?
You should look up if you can find a manual online for your system that explains what that disk is.

Also the dvd expects an ide or sata controller and it might just get confused by the usb controller.

something to do with Windows appears for a split-second, but then the screen blanks
except for a small flashing horizontal white line (like a hyphen) and the display remains like that forever, so what to do?
You're booting into legacy mode from boot media, that supports UEFI boot only.
Boot into UEFI mode instead.
In BIOS boot order list choose boot option "[UEFI] DVD drive". And set it as first boot option.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Are you sure this is an installation disk and not a recovery or something else that needs to be run in a different way?
You should look up if you can find a manual online for your system that explains what that disk is.

Also the dvd expects an ide or sata controller and it might just get confused by the usb controller.
As already mentioned, it's a new OEM Windows dvd, not a recovery disk. Why would the bios get confused by the usb dvd drive? I've installed windows from usb dvd drives before without much issue, however it might be expecting a sata dvd so will try this as a last resort.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
What are you trying to do?
If you want to install windows, you should have only the target drive installed.
What am I trying to do? To install windows from the usb dvd drive. Currently there is one sata ssd that I want to install the windows onto and one usb flash drive for extra storage, and the usb dvd drive. All drives are shown in the bios boot order.

Where did you get this copy of windows?
If you got more than a 10% discount it is not legit and you will have problems.

And, when installing windows, do not have ANY other drive connected or windows will try to put a boot loader on it.
I don't know if the extra usb drive is messing anything up.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Where did you get this copy of windows?
If you got more than a 10% discount it is not legit and you will have problems.

And, when installing windows, do not have ANY other drive connected or windows will try to put a boot loader on it.
I don't know if the extra usb drive is messing anything up.
The OEM windows dvd was purchased for 95.99 from box.co.uk with the mobo. Anyway, I'll try again with the usb flash drive removed and see if that works.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Right, I tried again with the usb flash drive removed, but still not working whether I select uefi or not as first boot order.

Incidentally, the usb dvd drive is showing twice in the boot order, one with uefi in the drive description and one without uefi in the description.

Incidentally, the usb dvd drive is showing twice in the boot order, one with uefi in the drive description and one without uefi in the description.
Good then select secure boot in bios together with the uefi option from the dvd, or legacy in bios without the uefi option from the dvd.

Also if the bios has a seperate boot menu try using that to make sure you are booting from the correct dvd ption,

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Good then select secure boot in bios together with the uefi option from the dvd, or legacy in bios without the uefi option from the dvd.

Also if the bios has a seperate boot menu try using that to make sure you are booting from the correct dvd ption,
Thankyou, I hadn't thought of those two options. Now I understand why the dvd drive is listed twice.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022

Ok, there's a problem which is I can't find secure or legacy boot options in the uefi bios, so what to do?

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
But Terry Laze said:
'Good then select secure boot in bios together with the uefi option from the dvd, or legacy in bios without the uefi option from the dvd. Also if the bios has a separate boot menu try using that to make sure you are booting from the correct dvd option, '
Now you're saying secure boot should be turned off! Whichever, I can't find secure or legacy boot options in the uefi bios! Who said anything about disabling uefi?

I just want to know one simple thing! How do I boot to the USB DVD drive! With the old bios it was a simple matter of selecting the dvd drive as the first boot drive and that was it.

Last edited:
Now you're saying secure boot should be turned off!
Yes. Have it disabled.
You can later enable it, if necessary.
I can't find secure or legacy boot options in the uefi bios!
You have not listed model name of your motherboard (or is it a laptop or what?)
Nobody can find those settings for you.

Legacy boot = CSM
Can you find CSM settings?

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Yes. Have it disabled.
You can later enable it, if necessary.

You have not listed model name of your motherboard (or is it a laptop or what?)
Nobody can find those settings for you.

Legacy boot = CSM
Can you find CSM settings?
The motherboard is a Gigabyte A520I AC. I'll see if I can find CSM settings... Ok, it says CSM Support is enabled.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
Thank you. I tried again with CSM disabled but still couldn't boot to the usb dvd drive. The Windows logo did appear for a split-second though, but then the screen blanked except for a small flashing horizontal white line (like a hyphen). It remained like this forever, so I powered it down. Should I load optimised defaults maybe? Not tried that yet.

The blinking cursor shows that the first stage of boot was successful but now it doesn't know what to load up next, it doesn't know where the OS files are.

Try running rufus in windows and use your dvd to create a USB stick that is made to boot for both legacy and secure at once, you can also just download a new iso from MS, the DVD itself has no value, it's all about the serial key.

This is just to completely eliminate the dvd drive as well as the oem disc as a source of error.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
The blinking cursor shows that the first stage of boot was successful but now it doesn't know what to load up next, it doesn't know where the OS files are.

Try running rufus in windows and use your dvd to create a USB stick that is made to boot for both legacy and secure at once, you can also just download a new iso from MS, the DVD itself has no value, it's all about the serial key.

This is just to completely eliminate the dvd drive as well as the oem disc as a source of error.
Thank you once again. Why doesn't the uefi BIOS know where the OS files are?

Anyway, just to make sure I understand, I have to connect the dvd drive to another system and then use rufus to create a bootable usb stick based on the windows 10 dvd? Or don't do any of that and download a new iso from MS?

How would a new iso work with the OEM serial key? Apologies if that's a silly question. Also, what properties (file format, etc) should the usb stick have?

Last edited:
Thank you once again. Why doesn't the uefi BIOS know where the OS files are?
It has nothing to do with the bios anymore, the bios does its work and starts up the dvd which is why you get the logo for a split second, the dvd doesn't know what to do next which is why I had the question if it is actually an install dvd or something else.
Anyway, just to make sure I understand, I have to connect the dvd drive to another system and then use rufus to create a bootable usb stick based on the windows 10 dvd? Or don't do any of that and download a new iso from MS?
Yup either one or one after the other we have to try different things to see if any of them will work.
We have to determine if its an issue with your media or with the hardware (dvd controller or whatever)
How would a new iso work with the OEM serial key? Apologies if that's a silly question. Also, what properties (file format, etc) should the usb stick have?
The serial key is a activation for the version of windows you paid for so if the iso is the same version that the key is for then windows will activate.
All the dvds are the exact same, they are not all individually made for a specific serial each.
If the usb shows up in windows it's the correct format, the media creation tool and or rufus will handle it.

ptTimeBldr

Great
Nov 13, 2022
What do you mean by the dvd doesn't know what to do next? The dvd rom that the windows is on, or the dvd drive? Neither makes sense to me seeing as the dvd drive is shown in the boot order.

TRENDING THREADS