Problems after cloning C: partition of hard drive to SSD

Astalyne

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
I just bought a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and installed it into my PC that's running Windows 10 pro. So I used Samsung's data migration software (I just downloaded it from their website) and transferred my C Partition that's in the hard drive to my SSD (thankfully my SSD is bigger than the C partition). So I cloned those two drives and changed the boot drive to my SSD. Now, everything works well but something is bugging me. I thought Samsung's migration software will automatically delete the old C partition but its still there. So the question is: Is it safe to format the old C drive to save some space (that I really need). I changed the boot drive to the SSD so I think it would be safe but I'm still not certain. Also, after finishing the cloning with the migration software, a new partition was made (F in the picture),
data%20clone_zpsmvjhuqas.png
[/URL][/img]

Solution
as ss202sl suggested, remove the HDD and confirm it is booting from the SSD - i suspect it is as samsung's migration software usually clones exactly, including naming the the new "C" partition with the same identifying letter, ie "C" - which causes windows to put the orig drive "offline"
but if you didn't clone the other partitions, ie the EFI, master boot and system reserve partitions it won't boot with the hdd disconnected

if you did, the offline drive cannot be brought back online to wipe or reformat - i had that problem and even tried a couple partition manager software, freeware versions - i ended up using samsung's migration software to clone back to the orig OS drive, then about 15 seconds after it started the clone i hit the...
as ss202sl suggested, remove the HDD and confirm it is booting from the SSD - i suspect it is as samsung's migration software usually clones exactly, including naming the the new "C" partition with the same identifying letter, ie "C" - which causes windows to put the orig drive "offline"
but if you didn't clone the other partitions, ie the EFI, master boot and system reserve partitions it won't boot with the hdd disconnected

if you did, the offline drive cannot be brought back online to wipe or reformat - i had that problem and even tried a couple partition manager software, freeware versions - i ended up using samsung's migration software to clone back to the orig OS drive, then about 15 seconds after it started the clone i hit the "cancel" button - that left the orig drive wiped and unallocated - from there it was easy to re-initialize and format

fwiw

Solution