Question Problems after reinstalling GPU

Apr 6, 2022
Hi all,
I have this system:
Ryzen 9 5900X, Strix RX6900XT LC Top edition, Strix X570-f mainboard and a Samsung Odessey G7 27” monitor. Win10 is installed on a 1tb nvme in the first slot.
Everything was working fine, screen resolution at 2560x1440 and 240Hz, Freesync turned on.
Today I got my 2nd (2tb) nvme and installed it. So I had to remove the GPU, put it all back together again and switched on the system…..
The screen resolution suddenly was like 5120x1440, with the screen only show the left half of it, icons strechted and well, the right part of the normal windows screen not visible.
Still, the display settings said it is on 2560x1440?
Also, windows was like partially reset, cortana and edge icon showing in the taskbar which I had removed. Firefox was still there but the bookmarks were gone.
Anyway, reinstalling the graphicsdrivers didnt change anything, still had this right half of the desktop offscreen.

Then I did a monitor reset to factory settings and that made the desktop look normal again.
But as soon as I switch on Freesync the screen jumps back and I only have the stretched out left half of the desktop again.
Same happens when I set the monitor refresh rate higher than 60.

I have no idea what to do. Tried different settings like GPU scaling but nothings works.

Does anyone have an idea of what’s going on here?

PS: at least my new nvme is working

Cheers, Rob

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to backup your critical content off the primary SSD since it might be possible that the OS might be corrupt. Speaking of which, what BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Make and model of the SSD's used in our build? You state being on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on?

Apr 6, 2022
Thanks for your reply!
My bios is the lastest available from the Asus site, updated that last week.
Windows version is 21H2.
SSD 1: Crucial P5 plus 1tb
SSD 2: WD black sn750 wtb
HDD….some 2tb I had laying around, for music movies and pictures.
I dont have any critical content on the bootdrive, I finished this build only last sunday.
Corrupted OS…mouse is acting strnage as well, some mouse (razer) apps appear to be missing.
Maybe reinstall win10?

Just fired up my system, Im writing this on my ipad, and what do you know…
now I can activate freesync without problems???
I really don’t understand how the OS gets corrupted after pulling the GPU 🤔

Apr 6, 2022
Yes I did. Just came home from work, booted the PC and the same problem!
Had to set refresh to 60Hz and turn off freesync. Now I’m installing Win10 again (keeping personal files) and also all the drivers - let’s see if that does any good

Apr 6, 2022
Reinstall didnt help either… I can set the screen up to 144Hz refresh rate but at 240Hz it jumps to 5120x1440 so again, I only can see the left half of my desktop. And windows still reports the screen resolution is 2560x1440.
I tried another monitor, also Freesync capable. It’s an asus MQ28U but in the menu the freesync option is greyed out, at least it is with a HDMI 2.0 connection. Haven’t tried DP.
I’m starting to think my GPU is broke??
And yes, it’s well seated cant push it into the slot any further.