[SOLVED] Problems cloning a disk

Frank_G

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
I am trying to update my HP laptop (windows 10) drive from 250 Gb to 500 Gb. I have a compatible drive and tried both AOMEI Backer Upper and Macrium software. I can manipulate the drives partitions using diskpart just fine.

The AOMEI software in system clone mode just hangs in the process. By hangs, I mean the progress indication freezes at a number while the disk activity light periodically flashes. No error codes indicated. If I just clone the drive, the laptop won't boot (can't find OS).

The Macrium software also errored out with code 8 (I believe).

Has anyone successfully cloned a drive? Any thoughts on making the non system clone version bootable?

Frank

Solution
If I just clone the drive, the laptop won't boot (can't find OS).

Any thoughts on making the non system clone version bootable?
If the 250Gb drive was the only drive in your system and you clone it then you just have to tell your bios to not boot from the 250 drive but from the 500 one instead.
The internal drive is an m.2280 on the PCIe bus and the external is on a USB3 port.
External drive with windows will not boot.
Unless you turn your running system into 'windows to go' which is not supported anymore, and never was fully suppoerted.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview
I am trying to update my HP laptop (windows 10) drive from 250 Gb to 500 Gb. I have a compatible drive and tried both AOMEI Backer Upper and Macrium software. I can manipulate the drives partitions using diskpart just fine.

The AOMEI software in system clone mode just hangs in the process. By hangs, I mean the progress indication freezes at a number while the disk activity light periodically flashes. No error codes indicated. If I just clone the drive, the laptop won't boot (can't find OS).

The Macrium software also errored out with code 8 (I believe).

Has anyone successfully cloned a drive? Any thoughts on making the non system clone version bootable?

Frank
How are these 2 disk connected to the laptop?

If I just clone the drive, the laptop won't boot (can't find OS).

Any thoughts on making the non system clone version bootable?
If the 250Gb drive was the only drive in your system and you clone it then you just have to tell your bios to not boot from the 250 drive but from the 500 one instead.
The internal drive is an m.2280 on the PCIe bus and the external is on a USB3 port.
External drive with windows will not boot.
Unless you turn your running system into 'windows to go' which is not supported anymore, and never was fully suppoerted.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/planning/windows-to-go-overview

Solution