Question Problems Cloning with Macrium ?

les_garten

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I have a Laptop I am trying to clone. Just did 2 other Laptops recently and I had no issues. But this one is giving me problems.

Dell Vostro 1700 Win 10 32bit

Going from a small spinner to a 500GB SSD. If I just straight clone without changing partition sizes, no problems, drive boots fine. But I'm doing this to get the space, so that's no help. It's when I change the size of the Windows partition to make it larger that I get a Blue Screen booting issue.

In Macrium, the first Partition is windows, then there is a smaller partition that is a recovery partition I think. To delete it I have to use Diskpart.

the Blue ,screen error is \windows\system32\winload.exe can't do anything else from that screen except power down and put in old drive.

Any suggestions how to fix this bootloader issue? I have no install discs that came with the laptop, they were originally Vista.

les_garten

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Are you trying to resize the partition during the cloning operation while in Macrium? Or through some other method after Macrium has made a successful clone?

Have you considered imaging rather than cloning?

If I just cone the partitions and leave the extra space as "unallocated", the drive will boot fine. But if I resize during the clone process, I get the winload error. I am working with Partition Wizard right now to see if that works. It has a workflow called Migrate OS to SSD so we'll see how that works.

If I just cone the partitions and leave the extra space as un allocated, the drive will boot fine. If I resize during the clone process, I get the winload error. I am working with Partition Wizard right now to see if that works.

You should be able to assign that unallocated space to the C partition....either through Windows Disk Management or Minitool Partition Wizard. You should NOT have to re-do the clone.

Reactions: les_garten
In Macrium, the first Partition is windows, then there is a smaller partition that is a recovery partition I think. To delete it I have to use Diskpart.

the Blue ,screen error is \windows\system32\winload.exe can't do anything else from that screen except power down and put in old drive.
System is set up to boot from a partition you are deleting or moving making the setup not find it anymore.
A screenshot of disk manager showing all the info would help.
Sometimes running windows installation media and using it for automated startup repair fixes boot issues.
You can not change the order of partitions if you want it to boot without any more steps. you can turn the unused space into a new partition and use it that way.

Reactions: les_garten

les_garten

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
So got this to work fine last night using partition wizard, bing, band, boom. No problem. There was another data drive in there that had a system partition so I pulled it out and I think it was not helping. The Partition Wizard was very straight forward. Thanx folks for your help!

TRENDING THREADS