Comrade_Tito

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
Hi! So I have this monitor:
http://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_ips231p.htm LG IPS 231P-BN
It has a DVI-D and a VGA port.
I also have a laptop with an HDMI port.
So, to connect these two I bought this adapter:
https://www.tehnomanija.rs/televizo...-adapter-a-dvi-24-1-hdmi-b-000000000001114305
The thing is, when I connect it, I get a "No signal" notification on the monitor.
BUT, if I plug in the audio cable into my 3.5mm on the laptop and into the 3.5mm on the monitor, I get a normal image!
I guess it has something to do with the HDCP signal? However, I don't want to HAVE to use the monitor's speakers all the time, I mostly use my headphones.
The only way I got that to work was using a 3.5mm splitter I got with some old headphones, plugging the monitor into the mic port and the headphones into the headphones port. Is there any better way of solving this?

Comrade_Tito

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2014
I think you need an active adapter to get both signal and audio thru the hdmi port.
That's the problem though, I want to use only the image, NOT the audio. The audio itself transfers without any issues when the monitor's 3.5mm is plugged in.
I need to plug in the DVI without using any audio , leaving the audio free for the headphones. But instead, it forces me to have audio plugged in inside the monitor otherwise the image will not show.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I don't believe that's an adapter issue or hdmi/dvi issue, but a windows audio settings issue. You'll need to investigate what's default etc. I had a similar issue with my speakers not working, the audio coming only from the monitor if not using headphones, and ended up removing the monitor from the viable audio playback options, which then forced windows to use the speakers instead, with headphones set as default.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's just wierd. Sound and video are different channels, frequencies etc. One has nothing to do with the other. Even hdmi being digital signaling doesn't combine them, they are seperate.

Only thing I can think of is that cheapo adapter is somehow combining the ground path, so nothing is going through without the audio being grounded.

Reactions: Comrade_Tito